Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: urocare legbag

urocare legbag

i just ordered a few of these im assuming this little red rubber thing goes in the top like were you connect the tube to or can i just take it out for better flow or it does say its a back flow thing so maybe i better leave it in also i ordered a few and only got one drain tube that connects to the bottom woth a clip on it is that normal
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Little red valve.

That little red valve is to prevent back flow. But I would push a clean Q-tip through it first to break the seal otherwise you'll experience AD and you'll have not clue what's causing it. I don't know how Urocare makes that little red valve but they cut the end of it causing it to seal so that is why you should push a Q-tip through it to make sure it drains properly.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Are you using the reusable latex or the disposable vinyl bags?

Depending on which bag you are using reusable latex or disposable vinyl, you can buy the bags in a couple configurations. https://www.urocare.com/EN/ProductsEN.php

Uro-Safe Disposable Vinyl Bags
    Semi-transparent front and opaque (white back), 18 ounce or 32 ounce, with Thumb Clamp or Twist Drain Valve, includes a non removable the back flow "Little Red Valve," and latex leg straps. ***Extension tubing to connect the catheter to the bag is not included.

Uro-Save Disposable Vinyl Bags
    Transparent front and back, 18 ounce or 32 ounce, with Thumb Clamp or Twist Drain Valve, includes a non removable back flow "Little Red Valve," and latex leg straps. ***Extension tubing to connect the catheter to the bag is not ​included.

Urocare Reusable Latex Bags
    Available in 11 sizes, shapes and styles. Capacities vary from 9 fluid ounces to 44 fluid ounces. Bags have the "Little Red Valve," standard top adaptor, latex leg straps, and a standard twist type bottom drain valve. Options (at extra cost) available are "Quick Drain Valve," or "Straight-Thru Adaptor with Thumb Clamp." ***Extension tubing to connect the catheter to the bag is not included.

Uro-Kit Reusable Latex Urinary Leg Bag Kit
    Available in 11 sizes, shapes and styles. Capacities vary from 9 fluid ounces to 44 fluid ounces. Bags have the "Little Red Valve," standard top adaptor, Urocare Fabric Leg Strap Kit, Straight-Thru Adaptor with Thumb Clamp (drain), White Rubber Extension Tubing 18 inches long with Connector, Parts Cleaning Brush, Bottle of Urolux Urinary Appliance Cleanser, and Pro-Con Male External Catheter.

***Medicare requires that medical suppliers include the 18 inch extension tubing to connect the leg bag to the catheter at no extra cost, if the bags do not come with the extension tubing.

Absolutely agree with Ti, don't remove the "Little Red Valve." In the latex bags it not only serves as a back flow valve, but also as a washer to keep the adaptor cone from leaking. In the vinyl bags, you would have to cut the valve out. It is not intended to be removed as in the latex bag. As Ti says, make sure that the valve is open, the Q-tip is a great idea. It can stick if you don't force something though it, especially on a new bag that has not been used. I've never had a valve stick after I initially make sure it is open, but I guess it could happen if not properly rinsed.
    Last edited by gjnl; 12-30-2017 at 05:38 PM.

When you receive your leg bag you should also get an accesory catalog with all the lot#s for the pieces. Save this and even order extras to have on hand. I've been using them for 29 years and they're fantastic.

The red backflow valve is especially important to use if you have an indwelling catheter, as it prevents the back-flow of urine from the bag (usually has a high bacterial count) up into your bladder. If you are using an external condom catheter, it is less important, and removing it may make drainage more effective.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    The red backflow valve is especially important to use if you have an indwelling catheter, as it prevents the back-flow of urine from the bag (usually has a high bacterial count) up into your bladder. If you are using an external condom catheter, it is less important, and removing it may make drainage more effective.

(KLD)
    Actually, the valve also acts as a gasket (in addition to preventing reflux/backflow), so if you remove it the bag will leak through the top cap threads.

It is still unclear if the original poster is using the reusable latex or the disposable vinyl Urocare catheters. But, in the latex bag as, Patton57 (and I pointed out in Post #3) the "Little Red Valve" (trademarked name) is essential to prevent back flow and also works like a gasket (washer) to keep the adaptor cone from leaking where it attaches to the bag. In the vinyl bag the valve is molded into the bag and is not removable.

Urocare describes the "Little Red Valve" in the latex bag as follows:
    New High-Flow Valve
    New high-flow, self-cleaning, patented anti-reflux valve which prevents back-flow while allowing fast, uninterrupted drainage for problem-free use. Don't settle for urine reflux or black pressure caused by inferior flutter valves Nothing beats Uorcare's new high flow "Little Red Valve" for performance, reliability, and safety.

From what I can tell from the information on the Urocare site, the disposable vinyl bags don't come with a High Flow Valve. At least they don't mention it in the description of the bag.

For the years I used condom catheters, I used the Urocare reusable bags. One thing I didn't like the residual smell left in the latex of Urolux cleaner (which is a product containing an acid of some type...Urocare says the blend is proprietary, and the Material Safety Data Sheet states the product is a Corrosive Surfactant Chemical Blend. Urocare specifically does not recommend using vinegar or bleach or merely water as a sufficient cleaner. I am using a supra pubic catheter now and use the disposable vinyl bags.

I don't like the latex leg straps. On the latex bags I used to use the cloth straps sold by Urocare. For the vinyl bag, I use a cloth leg bag holder.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post

(KLD)
    its a reusable sport bag for wearing under your shorts and i use a condum cath i may also get one for when out and about wearing pants these bags seem like they may just be better than the bard bags im using

thanks for the replys i use a condum cath ill leave it in there and run a qtip threw there

I used to use Urocare leg bags and I liked them. Make sure that little red valve can open up and let urine flow through it. I used to take a pair of scissors and snip about 1/8" cut in that little red valve to make sure it would allow urine to flow through it. Otherwise it might be sealed or shut too tight and you'll be blowing condoms.