Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: State cracks down on improper use of disabled placards

  1. #11
    I've felt for years that the placard should have a large photo of the person it was issued to. I know in Ca they require the person issued the placard to carry a document proving it but I think a photo would make it much easier to spot the jerks that are using there Grandmas placard. This issue puts me on tilt more than anything else, probably because I see it on a daily basis ( as I'm driving around the parking lot for 20 minutes looking for a space).

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    I've felt for years that the placard should have a large photo of the person it was issued to. I know in Ca they require the person issued the placard to carry a document proving it but I think a photo would make it much easier to spot the jerks that are using there Grandmas placard. This issue puts me on tilt more than anything else, probably because I see it on a daily basis ( as I'm driving around the parking lot for 20 minutes looking for a space).
    I disagree strongly with this.

    I live in a state that recently put pictures on the placards. A healthy part of my job involves detaining people against their will and I have to park right out in front of the building they get released from. Probably 20% of these people are pissed off at me and a good 5% are super duper pissed off at me. The last thing I want is them walking past the first row of cars to get to where their buddy parked and happen to see my bright orange car with my stupid smiling face hanging from the rearview and take their frustrations out on my ride.

    There's probably countless more situations like that, but that's just my personal reason and I keep the parking pass for my apartment firmly affixed to the placard covering up the picture. No one has given me a ticket yet, and if they ever do I will tell the judge my reasoning as well... I betcha a judge would sympathize with not wanting their picture hanging in the car they park in front of the court house while they send people to jail all day long... hopefully I'd get a judge with a disabled placard!

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    I disagree strongly with this.

    I live in a state that recently put pictures on the placards. A healthy part of my job involves detaining people against their will and I have to park right out in front of the building they get released from. Probably 20% of these people are pissed off at me and a good 5% are super duper pissed off at me. The last thing I want is them walking past the first row of cars to get to where their buddy parked and happen to see my bright orange car with my stupid smiling face hanging from the rearview and take their frustrations out on my ride.

    There's probably countless more situations like that, but that's just my personal reason and I keep the parking pass for my apartment firmly affixed to the placard covering up the picture. No one has given me a ticket yet, and if they ever do I will tell the judge my reasoning as well... I betcha a judge would sympathize with not wanting their picture hanging in the car they park in front of the court house while they send people to jail all day long... hopefully I'd get a judge with a disabled placard!
    Doesn't your state have disabled license plates?? That would solve your problem. I rarely use my placard, I do have a second car but I've always made sure to have my DP plate on the car I use for work/business.

    btw - Has it help the parking situation??
    Last edited by wes4dbt; 01-02-2018 at 11:33 PM.

  4. #14
    Senior Member NW-Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Posts
    1,421
    Which state are you in that puts photo's on the placard ?

    Enforcement would have to be standing by your car while you go in or out to do the identity check!
    Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    I disagree strongly with this.

    I live in a state that recently put pictures on the placards. A healthy part of my job involves detaining people against their will and I have to park right out in front of the building they get released from. Probably 20% of these people are pissed off at me and a good 5% are super duper pissed off at me. The last thing I want is them walking past the first row of cars to get to where their buddy parked and happen to see my bright orange car with my stupid smiling face hanging from the rearview and take their frustrations out on my ride.

    There's probably countless more situations like that, but that's just my personal reason and I keep the parking pass for my apartment firmly affixed to the placard covering up the picture. No one has given me a ticket yet, and if they ever do I will tell the judge my reasoning as well... I betcha a judge would sympathize with not wanting their picture hanging in the car they park in front of the court house while they send people to jail all day long... hopefully I'd get a judge with a disabled placard!

  5. #15
    Senior Member Oddity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    2,600
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    The main problem with placard abuse in California is that it grants you automatic free parking. I've never lived in CA, but I've traveled there a time or six and if I recall correctly there is a state law that says you don't have to pay a parking meter if you have a disabled permit.

    While I appreciate the sentiment (it's harder, and back in the day probably impossible for those us of who use wheelchairs or with other disabilities to physically get to some meters in order to put change in them) this creates a huge incentive for someone to acquire placards they don't need. I suspect abuses in other states and municipalities that don't grant you free parking are probably a lot less. Just walk down a busy street with on-street parking in San Francisco and see what percentage of the parking is taken up by people showing disabled placards so they get free parking with no time limits. I was in Chinatown about a year and a half ago in SF and in two blocks 16 of the 17 cars parked on the street had disabled placards, I'm sure the majority of them were AB cats who just wanted a free place to park while they were at work so they borrowed Grandma's extra placard.

    Same here in VA. I love the free parking. I can see the incentive it creates for abuse. I?m less worried about assholes than I am about my own well being though. Never been denied a spot in 12 years, except at the Urologist, where there prolly aren?t many fakers. Sometimes I elect to park elsewhere, but have never been forced to. Lucky? I guess. Wouldn?t want to trade free parking for the risk of a faker in MY spot .

    In VA We have 2 placards, temporaries and permanents. Permanents last 10 years and require a simple mailed in form to renew. Temps last 90 days and are non-renewable without doctors order. Permanents are not easy to get.
    "Live your life in such a way that the fear of death can never enter your heart." -Tecumseh.

    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

    "Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

  6. #16
    Not sure if one is posting in hopes of improving accessible parking but its just not going to happen because they can clean up the outdated placards but you still have knucklehead people that use accessible parking for convenience and comfort vs need.

    You just cant fix stupid.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Same here in VA. I love the free parking. I can see the incentive it creates for abuse. I?m less worried about assholes than I am about my own well being though. Never been denied a spot in 12 years, except at the Urologist, where there prolly aren?t many fakers. Sometimes I elect to park elsewhere, but have never been forced to. Lucky? I guess. Wouldn?t want to trade free parking for the risk of a faker in MY spot .

    In VA We have 2 placards, temporaries and permanents. Permanents last 10 years and require a simple mailed in form to renew. Temps last 90 days and are non-renewable without doctors order. Permanents are not easy to get.
    What controls are in place in Virginia that make the permanent placards "not easy to get." In California, if a doctor is willing to sign the form for a permanent placard, the placard is issued by the state, no other questions asked. Doctors don't want to irritate their patients and aren't too picky about signing the forms. I know of a case of a woman with an injury to her arm, and her doctor signed the form for a temporary placard. While the injury was severe, it in no way limited her mobility and ability to ambulate.

    Doctors need to be educated about the use of handicapped parking and take a strong stand when someone requests a permanent placard because they are just old or overweight.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 33
    Last Post: 07-27-2014, 09:18 PM
  2. State Parks Becoming Ever More Accessible To The Disabled
    By Max in forum Spinal Cord Injury News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-06-2003, 10:19 AM
  3. State cuts off aid checks to disabled
    By antiquity in forum Ability & Disability News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-09-2003, 08:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •