Thread: Astrocytoma

Astrocytoma

We have found a second astrocytoma in my mid to upper spine. The first surgery put me in a chair with nothing from the chest down. Has anybody had any luck with another option other than sawing out your vertibre and disecting out the tumor? It is now about the size of my pinky finger.I can' travel back to Minnesota or Maryland to find another alternative. Anybody have some ideas to try? Anything helps in Colorado, Thanks

I see you're C6 incomplete and about 18 months out.

If "mid to upper spine" is below the level of your injury I think it depends on how incomplete your injury is. You say "nothing from the chest down". If that's really the case and you see no benefit in what incomplete injury you might have, I see little harm in just going ahead with surgery again... you're unlikely to regain any function after 18 months... that probably sounds a little flippant given the seriousness of your situation... I probably lack perspective because I'm complete and way, way past any chance of regaining function.

If the new tumor is either above your current or you have some modicum of function below your injury level that you don't want to lose, obviously the above doesn't apply. I''m not aware of much treatment other than surgery, but whether or not to pursue surgery is certainly a valid question to ask your doctors.

You need to have the tumor removed. Is radiation or chemotherapy an option?
    This is a return of tumor and needs aggressive treatment.
    CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I would strongly recommend contacting Dr George Jallo, who will review your MRI results (for free) if you send them to him. You will find his contact details by joining the Spinal Cord Tumor Association (SCTA) Facebook group. Or PM me and I will give you his email address. As you will read in that FB group (and from our personal experience) he is highly recommended. From personal experience, although he is a neurosurgeon, he won?t recommend surgery if there are other successful treatment options. He has moved from Johns Hopkins (in Baltimore, Maryland), but is still very much part of the excellent team there.
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

If you live in Colorado, I would suggest that you also contact Craig rehabilitation Hospital. They may be able to provide some referrals closer to home for you.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.