Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alternative to Magnesium Citrate?

While I agree that diet is important, not everyone is able to afford or physically can do some of the dietary changes that we would recommend. Also, neurogenic bowel, as I am sure you know, is a crazy beast. What works for one person may not for another - no matter how close their injuries may be. Supplements can be easier and thus gain more compliance when used appropriately for management of this issue.
    ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    While I agree that diet is important, not everyone is able to afford or physically can do some of the dietary changes that we would recommend. Also, neurogenic bowel, as I am sure you know, is a crazy beast. What works for one person may not for another - no matter how close their injuries may be. Supplements can be easier and thus gain more compliance when used appropriately for management of this issue.
    ckf

Well said.

One thing I have been doing for the past few years is taking a regular Magnesium citrate as a supplement with daily vitamins. It has health benefits and also helps the bowel to absorb some water.

Mag Supplement :
    https://www.amazon.com/Solgar-Magnes...96B4AA7P9&th=1

Agree with SCI Nurse re: Miralax, on the occasional time i need a laxative Miralax seems to get the job done but comparatively gentle by adding water to bowel ( as I understand it).