Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternative to Magnesium Citrate?

Question Alternative to Magnesium Citrate?

I'm looking for an option for Magnesium Citrate. Which was always ordered by my Doctors 35 years ago. So i've used it all these years as a way to avoid impaction. But i feel its too powerful for minor constipation. I need something that will work only when i have a bad BP which is after a day or two not a week long impaction.
    For my every other day BP I currently take 2 Senokot or 2 Bisacodyl pills & Colace plus the Magic Bullet in the morning. But when i get no results i need another option. Any thoughts?

I took Magnesium Citrate last night & the stomach noise is driving me crazy. I don't want to have an accident even though my Bowels were emptied this morning. i even paniced & took Pepto Bismal to stop it.

How long before this wears off?
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

Here is a handy chart that discusses alternatives: https://www.iodine.com/drug/magnesiu...e/alternatives

Are you getting enough fiber in your diet/supplements? Drinking enough, but not too much water (up to two liters per day)?

Have you tried to change from Magic Bullets to Enemeez. You can request free samples at: https://www.iodine.com/drug/magnesiu...e/alternatives

Sometimes it helps, especially after many years, just to change things up and try a different regimen. It may take a few weeks for everything to work as you would like, but our bodies to tend to get used to the chemicals we take for our bowel routines.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Here is a handy chart that discusses alternatives: https://www.iodine.com/drug/magnesiu...e/alternatives

Are you getting enough fiber in your diet/supplements? Drinking enough, but not too much water (up to two liters per day)?

Have you tried to change from Magic Bullets to Enemeez. You can request free samples at: https://www.iodine.com/drug/magnesiu...e/alternatives

Sometimes it helps, especially after many years, just to change things up and try a different regimen. It may take a few weeks for everything to work as you would like, but our bodies to tend to get used to the chemicals we take for our bowel routines.
    I drink plenty of water. MB seems to work better than Enemeez for me.

The recent constipation was cause by Bactrium for a new UTI.

I change things up from time to time.
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

Milk of Magnesia works well on the next day for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I drink plenty of water. MB seems to work better than Enemeez for me.

The recent constipation was cause by Bactrium for a new UTI.

I change things up from time to time.
    Probiotics are good to take while you are on antibiotics, just don't take them at the same time, allow a couple hours between taking the antibiotic and the probiotic.

If the Magic bullet isn't working have you tried Enemeez instead.
    CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

For occasional constipation, my Dad's SCI doctor recommends increasing doses of Miralax. If that fails, Milk of Magnesia. If that fails, THEN try Magnesium citrate. He recommends trying something, and if no results in 12 hours, try the next thing.

So start with Miralax. If nothing happens within 12 hours, take another dose of Miralax. If nothing happens within 12 hours, then take Milk of Magnesia. If nothing happens within 12-24 hours... then Magnesium citrate. Drink a lot during this process.

My Dad also sees a gastroenterologist who is interested in neurogenic bowel. He also really likes Miralax, and says it is safe to increase the doses as needed when constipation is bad. So he even favors avoiding Magnesium citrate and says to keep taking Miralax more frequently (for example .... three or four times in one day etc... until you go). In fact, they often use Miralax now for bowel prep before colonoscopy.

But if you are having regular problems initiating your bowel program, then I agree with the other posters.

Miralax is preferred to take than Magnesium Citrate for occasional constipation or regularly .It is not as strong.
    CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

3 Metamucil capsules daily (fiber). One Align capsule daily (probiotic). Magic Bullet every second day. Been on this routine for approx 5 years. It's been a life saver since I was going through constipation hell before that. If my bowels do get sluggish, 3 senokot does the job.

Food should be your first choice not supplements. Milk kefir helps to regulate your BP especially if you make your own. Because you can dial it in to your preference. Greater fermentation slows you down and lesser fermentation speeds you up. It also serves as a probiotic.
    Last edited by August West; 12-31-2017 at 09:39 PM.