Thread: DIY Overhead Patient Lift

DIY Overhead Patient Lift

Has anyone ever made an overhead lift?

I'm not talking about an elaborate multi-room system, just a simple 8-10 foot metal bar on the ceiling with a roller and electric hoist that would lift you up and allow you to roll over into your wheelchair. A new system costs upwards of $5000, but the parts can be purchased for about $500. These items were not designed for people, but if they are rated to hold about double your body weight and its installed securely, why not go the DIY way?

Thoughts?

This shows a homemade rig being used by a child to move an adult. It looks similar to hoist that are used to get boats into the water in many marinas. I know some people who have adapted motor lifts (used in auto repair shops) like this as well. Of course you would have to be sure that it was properly secured to the joists, and I have not seen one with a lateral motor component:

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

That kid is a genius!

I have to have my ceiling joists inspected to be sure it can handle the weight... if it will, I'm pretty certain that I will build my own.

That kid is one hell of a hustler...

many of us use lifts from harbor freight
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    I have to have my ceiling joists inspected to be sure it can handle the weight... if it will, I'm pretty certain that I will build my own.

That kid is one hell of a hustler...
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer