Thread: How many film versions of Dickens' Christmas Carol are there

How many film versions of Dickens' Christmas Carol are there

I just watched "Scrooge" from 1935 which is touted as the first non-silent version of "A Christmas Carol".
    I didn't know this one existed.
    Who can list them all? (And the Muppets version definitely counts!)

There are 24 versions according to the Sun: https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/51...ovie-versions/

The first was released way back in 1901, just 31 years after Dickens died.
    It's a silent film by Robert W Paul, where actors wear what appears to be enormous sheets to play the part of the ghost.
    The most recent was in 2012, while memorable versions include The Muppets, released in 1992, and the 2009 film starring Jim Carrey as the voice of Scrooge.

Take a look at the silent film here:
    http://mentalfloss.com/article/60836...hristmas-carol
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by gjnl; 12-25-2017 at 03:00 PM.

I had no idea so many versions had been made! Thank you for posting that, gjnl. Did NL make a yummy Yule Log this year?
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    I had no idea so many versions had been made! Thank you for posting that, gjnl. Did NL make a yummy Yule Log this year?
    Well, sort of. Instead of a sweet log, she made a salmon souffle roulade which looked a lot like this one for Christmas Eve, below (it was devoured before we got a picture taken). Today she is making a Turkey Breast Ballotine stuffed with mushroom, spinach, and leek stuffing and a date pudding for dessert.

Merry Mouthwatering Christmas!

Oh, my word, how delicious! There won't be any leftovers from THAT dinner, I'll wager!

My favorite is the 1999 TV movie starring Patrick Stewart... coincidentally I watched it earlier this evening with my friend/caregiver.

Here is the turkey breast ballotine. It tasted as good as it looks. And, Bonnette your are right...no leftovers...drat...I don't like that when it happens, but since I know the cook very well...there will be another!

GJ, you are a very lucky man to know that cook!

Edited to add: Scott, the Patrick Stewart version is my favorite, too - so atmospheric.

Our favorite is the 1984 version with George C. Scott (he played the part of Patton in the 1970 movie of the same title).

And yes, Bonnette, I am a very lucky man to have had NL in my life for nearly 52 years and soon to celebrate our 49th wedding anniversary (in May). And cooking is but one of her many skills and attributes.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Our favorite is the 1984 version with George C. Scott (he played the part of Patton in the 1970 movie of the same title).

And yes, Bonnette, I am a very lucky man to have had NL in my life for nearly 52 years and soon to celebrate our 49th wedding anniversary (in May). And cooking is but one of her many skills and attributes.
    Oh yes, that is a great version. George C. Scott was wonderful in it. Besides the George C. Scott and Patrick Stewart versions, I've only seen two others (Reginald Owen and Alastair Sim). I really like all of them, it's just such a marvelous story.

Congratulations on your soon-to-be 49th wedding anniversary!