Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filing for Disability

Filing for Disability

When filing for disability(SSDI) how long does it normally take to be approved?

Depending on your situation, you may have to be on Cobra first then short-term disability before you can qualify for long-term disability. If I recall correctly, the entire process is over 2 years.

Fortunately, SCI is one of the group of "presumptive" disabilities for SSDI, so you don't have to wait as long for a determination that you are actually permanently disabled. Normally, it takes 3-5 months for your application to be processed. It is best to NOT be working when you apply, so if you are going to retire on disability, apply the day after your retirement date, and plan to have funds sufficient for your living expenses without SS for at least 6 months. Will you also be getting a pension from your employer?

From the SS website:
    Social Security, disability benefits will not begin until the sixth full month of disability. The Social Security disability waiting period begins with the first full month after the date we decide your disability began.
    https://www.ssa.gov/disability/disability.html

You become eligible for Medicare 24 months after your SSDI is approved, unless you turn 65 sooner than that.

Here is a good publication from SS that gives you all the information about how to apply and how your eligibility is determined.

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10029.pdf

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I am leaving work at the end of the year and will be applying for SSDI. I had called Social Security and the lady told me it would take 3 years unless I was dying. I had read on the internet it took 30 to 90 days so wanted to know what others experience was for the wait.

The woman you spoke to was incorrect. She should have checked the list for those conditions that have presumptive permanent disability (which includes SCI). Did you tell her that was your disability?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Yeah, SSDI was ready for me once the 6 month waiting period was over. That was 15 years ago, but still...

Make sure you mention SCI, that's an automatic approval from what I gather

When filing for SSDI do you have to send your medical records to Social Security or will they gather them from your doctor you have on the
    SSDI application?

Quote Originally Posted by Donnaz View Post
    When filing for SSDI do you have to send your medical records to Social Security or will they gather them from your doctor you have on the
    SSDI application?
    I'm pretty sure SS sends you "authorization for release of information forms" You have to sign them and return to SS who will request info from Doctors.

It might be worth giving SS a call to be sure.

I was told that submitting medical records that you already have would speed the process up, so I did so, SS only had to get the most recent MR. The way I looked at it, less sitting on someone's desk waiting to be done. I was approved in a little less than 6 months, so I think it made a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Stan View Post
    I am leaving work at the end of the year and will be applying for SSDI. I had called Social Security and the lady told me it would take 3 years unless I was dying. I had read on the internet it took 30 to 90 days so wanted to know what others experience was for the wait.
    IMO that person should be placed in an unpaid full time training program for spreading misinformation to customers of SS.