Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Filing for Disability

I applied for SSDI benefits on January 1st, 2018 and was told I was approved on January 3rd, 2018. That was quick. Now need to wait the 6 months to get the first check.

That woman who said 3 years needs some more training. They should be taping those conversations so she can get educated.

When I had been working and was off SSDI for a while but had to restart my disability payments because I had to stop working to completely heal up a sore. I was told at the local level that they had processed my claim and there was no doubt that I would get it back but it would still take 90 days on the federal level for my paperwork to be processed. They told me that is just how long it would take. And they were right, almost to the day. I had to sell all my stuff and move in with my parents while I waited.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Stan View Post
    I applied for SSDI benefits on January 1st, 2018 and was told I was approved on January 3rd, 2018. That was quick. Now need to wait the 6 months to get the first check.

That woman who said 3 years needs some more training. They should be taping those conversations so she can get educated.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnaz View Post
    When filing for SSDI do you have to send your medical records to Social Security or will they gather them from your doctor you have on the
    SSDI application?
    You will have to send them all kinds of documents probably multiple times, and if you miss even one deadline they will revoke your application and you will have to starte the process all over. you will send them a release for your medical records from your doctor to fill out, and if he doesn't do it correctly you may get rejected and have to start over or go to an appeals hearing. In addition to the records that your personal doctor provides they will also send you a notice in the mail with a specific date and time on it where you will be required to undergo an evaluation by one of their doctors. Don't miss the appointment, or you guessed you start all over. I had a social worker that handled my case and stayed on my ass throughout the whole process so that I didn't overlook submitting anything that they requested. The 6 months later voila your are accepted and start receiving checks every month. After 2 years you become eligible for medicare, and the rest is history. It may not be quite as bad as I described, Im not sure when I did mine I was also applying for medicaid and also trying to apply for a loan modification for my mortgage. I was also fresh out of the hospital with my SCI and trying to cope with all of the fun things that that leaves us to deal with, so it was a pretty hectic six months of my life...