Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TiLite TRA - ticking noise from caster wheels! What gives??

TiLite TRA - ticking noise from caster wheels! What gives??

I have a TRA and yesterday the caster wheels, more so on the right, there a ticking noise about every half rotation.

I?m away from my DME.
    Should I do anything to mitigate the noise?
    what could be causing the noise?
    Never Give Up!

The noise isn?t as bad when I?m on a smooth surface.
    Never Give Up!

First thing I would try would be to switch the wheels from left to right and at same time clean any hair etc. from the bearings. You may have a small pebble or something caught between the wheel and fork.

Are you still handcycling Chef?

bearings. i use dmehub.net to buy new ones and replace them myself. mine go bad about every 2 years

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon
    Clean and grease bearings even though they are probably stuffed.

Also try to adjust the tension on your casters. I typically tighten then fairly snug then back them off a quarter of a turn. If that doesn't work then yes replace the bearings.

As other have said, it's very likely your bearings. You can try lubricating them, which is cheaper and easier than replacing.
    If the cage inside the bearing is broken, then you'll have to replace the whole bearing.

Additionally, I switched to ceramic bearings a few years ago and have not yet had to touch them. They're great.

When you remove the caster from its fork, your bearings are in the caster hub and look like this:

You'll want to pry off the seal (black part) to get to the bearings. I use a razor blade or bent paper clip to hook the seal and pull it off.

Wipe and/or blow out any old dust, sand, grit that may be inside.

Lubricate the bearings with oil or grease. Do not use WD-40 (it's not really a lubricant). An oil from the hardware store is fine, like 3-in-1. Or you can get bearing grease from a bike shop.

When you apply lubricant, spin the bearings a bit to make sure it penetrates.

Then reapply the seal.
    Last edited by brian; 12-23-2017 at 03:24 PM.

FYI: If you've never opened up your bearings before, below is what they look like with the seal removed. You can get probably make one set of bearings last a lifetime if you clean and grease them once every couple of years. And greasing them is much easier than replacing them - they're a pain in the ass to remove.

There's an easy trick to removing the bearings from the caster. Knock the caster on the floor until the spacer between the two bearings moves enough to be visible (shown in red in the picture). Place a bolt on this spacer and hammer the bolt until one bearing falls out. Then flip the caster over and use the bolt to hammer out the other bearing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I would have said bearings too.

I switched over to a power chair part-time and I had a bearing snap (I was using the chair to move furniture, oopsie) and wow .. the wheel just wouldn't budge and got ground down. Finally fixed yesterday.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12