Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: TiLite TRA - ticking noise from caster wheels! What gives??

  1. #11
    Senior Member TheAbleChef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    Posts
    907
    Hello Patrick! HAPPY NEW YEAR!

    Thank you for your advice I took off the wheels, cleaned, lubed and remounted...problem fixed!
    I'm going to do the same with my rear wheels.

    I've handcycled since 2009. I miss it so much. I live downtown Toronto, don't have secure enough storage or a proper bike path.
    I could go to Lakeshore bike path but I'd have to ride in regular traffic which scares the heck out of me!
    Never Give Up!

  2. #12
    Senior Member TheAbleChef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    Posts
    907
    Thank you Brian!
    Never Give Up!

  3. #13
    Senior Member TheAbleChef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    Posts
    907
    Thank you for the tip!!
    Never Give Up!

  4. #14
    Senior Member TheAbleChef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    Posts
    907
    Update: the noise is coming from the camber tube area. A tech just tightened all the bolts in the back end of the axle area and the noise still persists. So it?s either the axle bracket of a crack in the frame.

    Anyone experience something like this?
    Never Give Up!

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    587
    So the rear wheels are the issue? Not the casters?
    Can you take a brief video and post it?
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

  6. #16
    Senior Member TheAbleChef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    Posts
    907
    Quote Originally Posted by Crappler View Post
    So the rear wheels are the issue? Not the casters?
    Can you take a brief video and post it?

    The cracking/ticking noise is definitely coming from the camber tube area.
    Even when trying to roll quietly, my chair makes cracking noise.

    What do you recommend I try to get rid of the noise?


    Never Give Up!

  7. #17
    You may have suspected the rear wheel bearings and spun them independently without you in the chair. Spinning the wheels on the chair without a load might not be enough to produce a sound.
    Try tossing a different wheels on your chair and see if it goes away. If it does, swap out your wheel bearings.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

  8. #18
    Senior Member brian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,078
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAbleChef View Post
    The cracking/ticking noise is definitely coming from the camber tube area.
    Even when trying to roll quietly, my chair makes cracking noise.

    What do you recommend I try to get rid of the noise?
    You're not going to be able to get rid of the noise until you figure out EXACTLY where it's coming from.
    Does the noise still happen when:

    - you use different wheels?
    - you spin the wheels when not sitting in the chair?

    If so, it's the wheels. Could be spokes or bearings or handrims where they attach.

    - Does the noise still happen when you move the chair without you sitting in it?
    - Get out and take the wheels off. Push and pull on all the frame parts. Is anything loose?
    - Have someone get their ear really close and see if they can say EXACTLY where the noise is coming from. Left or right? Front or back? High or low?

    Or spend an afternoon and strip it to the frame, clean it, and put it back together.

  9. #19
    Senior Member TheAbleChef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    Posts
    907
    Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    You're not going to be able to get rid of the noise until you figure out EXACTLY where it's coming from.
    Does the noise still happen when:

    - you use different wheels?
    - you spin the wheels when not sitting in the chair?

    If so, it's the wheels. Could be spokes or bearings or handrims where they attach.

    - Does the noise still happen when you move the chair without you sitting in it?
    - Get out and take the wheels off. Push and pull on all the frame parts. Is anything loose?
    - Have someone get their ear really close and see if they can say EXACTLY where the noise is coming from. Left or right? Front or back? High or low?

    Or spend an afternoon and strip it to the frame, clean it, and put it back together.
    Thank you Brian! I’m going to get my footplate repaired on Friday and I’ll ask to switch wheels and test if the cracking sound still persists.
    Never Give Up!

  10. #20
    Senior Member TheAbleChef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    Posts
    907
    The axle bracket holding the bar that adjusts the seat height was a little loose.
    A tech had tightened the week before with no change. What ever the tech did yesterday, the creaking is gone!
    Never Give Up!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-26-2015, 10:25 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-20-2015, 11:37 PM
  3. Baclofen pump overdose and ticking noise
    By wickwack in forum Care
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-24-2015, 05:36 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-11-2013, 07:14 PM
  5. Caster wheels 2007ish Tilite ZR
    By donz in forum Equipment
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-15-2011, 03:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •