Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you pay for care and determine when it is time to get it.

Trying to avoid the transfers especially when wet and after breaking my legs so many times they do not fit in a wheelchair correctly.

Just had a breakthrough the other day on transferring into my power chair but trying to transfer into a shower chair (which is basically my manual chair) my legs just won't stay on the foot plates. Long story short, A have been stuck in bed for the last few years. Can still do my transfers but not any complicated transfers like I used to.

When I do take a shower it crashes my blood pressure another reason to avoid the extra exertion of the transfers. Also wouldn't be comfortable doing this machine by myself.

Thank you for your help it was just an idea.

You can wear an abdominal binder in the shower to help with your blood pressure. Also, all the bedrest you are doing will keep your blood pressure low, so the more time you spend up, the less this will be a problem.

Even if you cannot transfer yourself with a lift, having one will be much easier for any caregiver to use, and make it easier to recruit a caregiver.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

The binder has never worked with me and what little balance there is, gets completely taken away and it does not feel safe, without a chest strap.

Somehow don't think you would get a real shower wearing a binder. The only thing I have found to help with my blood pressure is midrorine.

The last time I was in the hospital they put me in ICU because of D stats . My blood pressure crashed and crashed hard. Took 3 doses midorine, then they dump 4 liters of fluid into me and put me on 5 liters of oxygen. Then went to ICU.

Have therapist looking to find a used track system that both lifts and moves me and think that may be the best route to go if we find one.

What is D stats?

Have you considered using a reclining shower chair to help with blood pressure issues?

Obviously a binder in the shower prevents washing the trunk area with soap and water, but that is generally not a health issue, and you can easily clean that area after you return to bed.

Is your therapist watching on eBay for used CTLs? I see them listed there frequently.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.