Thread: Stomach Discomfort

Stomach Discomfort

I?ve been having stomach discomfort for a while now. My doctors haven?t been able to figure out what the cause is. My stomach is pulsing and there?s discomfort with it. Sometimes it bothers my chest too. It?s worse when I?m laying down. I?ve had CT scans done, echo cardio gram, HIDA scan, endoscopy and EKGs but nothing comes back positive for a cause. Obviously pulsing in the stomach would make you think aneurysm but with all the tests done that doesn?t seem likely. I have acquired the famous quad gut but otherwise I am a relatively skinny guy. I?ve been concerned that the discomfort is due to my posture putting pressure on the abdominal region. It doesn?t bother me much throughout the day but it will on occasion. This has just become frustrating that we can?t find the cause and treat it.

Can you associate the pain with any events such as eating? Do you have any related problems such as nausea or vomiting? Can you reduce or increase the pain by laying in certain positions? Do you know if your physician has considered superior mesenteric artery (SMA) syndrome? Test may include an upper GI series (barium or other contrast material taken orally before Xrays or fluoroscopy, or hypotonic duodenography.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Can you associate the pain with any events such as eating? Do you have any related problems such as nausea or vomiting? Can you reduce or increase the pain by laying in certain positions? Do you know if your physician has considered superior mesenteric artery (SMA) syndrome? Test may include an upper GI series (barium or other contrast material taken orally before Xrays or fluoroscopy, or hypotonic duodenography.

(KLD)
    I do not have any pain associated with eating or have any nausea/vomiting. Sometimes I would say I can reduce the pain by laying differently but that’s not always the case. I’m am not aware of my doctor considering SMA.

I have seen SMA several times in people with SCI, esp. if they are underweight. Discuss this with your physician as something that should be ruled out.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I have seen SMA several times in people with SCI, esp. if they are underweight. Discuss this with your physician as something that should be ruled out.

(KLD)
    I will look into it. I wouldn’t consider myself underweight. I’m 6 feet tall and weigh 162 pounds.