Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flap and colostomy surgery getting scheduled

I really can't stress enough how taking a multitude of supplements for my skin has helped me. Sure I still get wounds, but I do a lot of bed time now that I don't have to work and they are much more manageable than before and heal quite a bit quicker.

Catch-22. I miss working, but at least I'm not fatigued with infection all the time.

Take those vitamins and get that protein in!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

They had me quit taking multivitamins because of kidney stones. But I drink two Boost with extra protein every day.
    "Some days you eat the bear, some days the bear eats you?"

You should be consuming at least 100 gm. of protein daily. Boost is good, but you may also want to look at Premier: https://www.premierprotein.com/

In my area you can buy this at Costco and Sam's club.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Stones from multivitamins??? Oh no .. I have a lot of sediment, but I think it's tied to the foley as I've taken the multivitamins for almost a decade.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

An overdose of vitamin D can increase the risk for stones, and occasionally megadoses of vitamin C can do the same, but if you take a vitamin supplement without excessive amount of these, you should be fine.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    You should be consuming at least 100 gm. of protein daily. Boost is good, but you may also want to look at Premier: https://www.premierprotein.com/

In my area you can buy this at Costco and Sam's club.

(KLD)
    My guts don't like that stuff.

The surgeries got moved from May 5 up to February 5. I guess that means I will have no Super Bowl party prepping for surgery.

I have been laying on my side a lot lately and the wound is actually gotten bigger. Nobody can explain it. Should I keep my legs straight when I go on my side or bend my knee a little? Would then deem I need too much affect the wound?

Well I got out of the hospital March 22. A long-term facility actually. Everything went great. My flap healed quicker than anyone has ever seen. I think that had to do with all of the homemade food I was getting. Most of it included deer meat. The seating protocol went well while I was in. I was getting in the chair two hours at a time, three times a day. With at least one hour of bedtime in between. There would be a little pink tissue but that would leave within ten minutes. I also tilt back for ten minutes every hour.

I had the colostomy surgery at the same time. I wish I would have done this surgery a long time ago. Kind of like the suprapubic. It makes life so much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Well I got out of the hospital March 22. A long-term facility actually. Everything went great. My flap healed quicker than anyone has ever seen. I think that had to do with all of the homemade food I was getting. Most of it included deer meat. The seating protocol went well while I was in. I was getting in the chair two hours at a time, three times a day. With at least one hour of bedtime in between. There would be a little pink tissue but that would leave within ten minutes. I also tilt back for ten minutes every hour.

I had the colostomy surgery at the same time. I wish I would have done this surgery a long time ago. Kind of like the suprapubic. It makes life so much easier.

Just shittin all day now?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    Just shittin all day now?
    Ha ha. Yep. Better than trying all morning. Actually only have to empty maybe once day. Probably burp it twice a day. So much easier.