Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flap and colostomy surgery getting scheduled

Flap and colostomy surgery getting scheduled

Have been battling a pressure sore on my ischium since February. It got infected in February, that is what made it so bad. Have had a wound vac on it a couple times. It has gotten a lot better but will not close. Plastic surgeon thinks this is the best route. Decided to do the colostomy the same time. Supposedly both are going to get scheduled this February sometime. At least six weeks of complete bed rest afterwards in a Clinitron bed. Not looking forward to this spring. But as long as it gets better. Any advice?
    Thanks, Clint
    "Some days you eat the bear, some days the bear eats you?"

Make sure you take a phone/tablet/laptop with you to keep you from going crazy. Eat lots of protein to heal well and do what they say the regarding positioning, etc. etc.

I'm currently doing over 3 & 1/2 years of bedrest for recurring skin problems on my buttocks and I would've gone mad without my laptop after a couple days. Don't try and skimp on the healing and or bedrest pressure relief.

Please look into the graf jacket, flowable matrix. I spent 7 months on a wound vac with little improvement. Was out of bed and rolling 3 weeks after the flowable matrix.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    Please look into the graf jacket, flowable matrix. I spent 7 months on a wound vac with little improvement. Was out of bed and rolling 3 weeks after the flowable matrix.
    We have tried different products. Testosterone and placenta collagen cells from cattle didn't seem to work. Yesterday tried placing some fish collagen cells. The wound nurse is confused why it isn't healing. All of the tissue looks healthy.

Kind of sounds what I went thru Countryboy. It turns out there was an abscess underneath the wound. They found it doing a cat scan as I was near death and in the ER. The plastic surgeon said he never ordered one because of the healthy tissue and mass antibiotics I had been given while in assisted living healing up from two flap surgeries.

Once that was taken care of, I've healed and had no reoccurrences. THe Ride Java cushion has really helped also.

Sounds like it may be time for either surgery and 6 weeks in the Clinitron or complete bedrest. The wound vacs are useless imo; I've yet to hear of anyone being healed with a wound vac.

Negative Pressure Wound Therapy (NPWT) of which the VAC is only one brand, can be a good option for some wounds, but should not be used over infected wounds/osteomyelitis/abscesses unless these have been treated first. It is not right for some wounds, and no matter what wound therapy is used (NPWT, matrix, etc.) if someone continues to sit or lay on the wound surface, or use tobacco products, or has poor nutrition, these are a waste of time and money.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    This is from my wound nurse about the above.
    "The Graft Jacket is only approved or paid for by insurance for diabetic foot ulcers or venous stasis ulcers.
    The Flowable from integra can only be applied in the OR."

There are other matrix dressings other than GraftJacket (made from human skin), for example Oasis (which is made from pig intestine), MatriStem (which is made from pig bladder), and Grafix and Epifix, which are made from human placenta material. GraftJacket dressing is approved for pressure ulcers, but the liquid Xpress form (flowable) is not. Unfortunately a number of these are only FDA approved for diabetic ulcers, although some insurances will cover them for "off-label" use in pressure ulcers.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I got mine done at the VA. Yes they have been doing it to diabetics for 10 years, for foot and nasal ulcers. Mine was done in the wound care nurses room, with a PA to stitch it closed. They mixed the "material" with antibiotics. I see this as the future. Beats the hell out of that wound vac. IMO

The VA covers off-label use of matrix materials for pressure ulcers. That is not the case for many insurances. When I was working there, we did a lot of applications at bedside or in the clinic, although occasionally it was done in the OR as well. We also used NPWT extensively, often together with matrix products.

(KLD)