Thread: Rods out ???

Rods out ???

Not me but a buddy of mine has an infection and they say its the hardware in his back... They want to open him up and take out all his hardware. Has anyone ever heard of this or have the procedure done ?? He's only 1 1/2 post and t6 complete injury. Thanks for any input. I told him get lot's of opinions, not just 1 !!

Others on this site have. If I understood correctly, the mended parts will be stronger than the rest of his spine.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Infected hardware must be removed, and the resultant osteomyelitis treated. Most likely his stabilization is fixed now, so unlikely he will have to have another fusion, but that will be determined by how much bone must be removed to get the hardware out. Pretty big surgery if the bone has grown around the hardware, such as with a cage or even some rods. Routine removal, unless there are problems, is not recommended.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I know a para from PT who had his removed owing to them causing pain and, indeed, he finally found a doc to remove them and the pain went along with.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

O.k. now I'm really questioning this now. He said only after having his surgery for a month and ac half he was opened back up because of infection. They cleaned him up and he's been on antibiotics for a year and now it's back and their going to open him up AGAIN...... How does an infection happen in the first place right after surgery ?? Dirty dr's , dirty equipment or the body just doesn't except hardware ? All seems wild to me. Just met the guy recently and have became buddy's. He's a hunter like myself and live's near by. Feel bad for him being in hospital over Christmas. Anyone ever hear of such a thing ??

I know two guys it's happened to. Is not that uncommon.

Osteomyelitis (infection of the bone) is extremely difficult to eradicate due to the low blood flow in bone material. It is likely that the 1 year drug treatment was simply suppressive,, and not curative. Infection can occur due to problems in surgery, poor wound healing, or blood borne infection traveling to the bone from other sites (such as a pressure injury).

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon
    A film can grow on the hardware. However, if it's buried in bone it will be hard to remove. Once stable the hardware is no longer required.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    I know two guys it's happened to. Is not that uncommon.
    So being opened up 3 times in under 2 yrs isn't that uncommon ?? Man I'm glad I didn't have this happen. Thanks for all your inputs