Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: where to purchase vehicle hand controls w/ no script needed?!

where to purchase vehicle hand controls w/ no script needed?!

wanted to try & purchase new hand controls but seems no matter where i look i need to go through BS like getting a new script and/or get certified in using a new style.....stupid. I live in PA.

Have you tried sportaid or eBay?
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

yah go ebay
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Twice I've gone to a local mobility dealer and they've installed used hand controls for me. No paperwork or rx needed. And they charged for the parts what equivalents were going for on ebay at the time. Different requirements state to state?

Yes, different states have different requirements on this. Since the OP is in PA, I believe they have one of the most restrictive laws related to this. They may do better to purchase in a neighboring state.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I can tell you that NJ won't be one of those states.

I got my first hand controls in 1996 at the crip vendor's shop.

Since then I have fabricated my own excepting two used sets I put in secondary vehicles.
    Since I retired and liquidated Phils Foreign Car Service, I don't have a lift, a chop saw, or a mig welder, but I will somehow survive!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Before you purchase any used set of handcontrols, you need to figure out what mounting bracket you need. Different mounting brackets for different vehicles. I have never seen just a bracket for sale, used H/C's often have brackets with them. I also don't think manufactures will sell brackets to the general public.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

I have a set for sale if you can modify it was for a golf cart but they sure look like the 1 in my van other than the bracket to hold them

yes florida same way I like to have died laughing as I drove up I'm my van florida put on my new license as Georgia did not care

You can also buy "portable" hand controls (Colours makes one kind, there are others) at Sportaid. They are designed to be easy to install yourself. I've known paras who use them in place of DME installed hand controls. Cost around 300 bucks.