Thread: Sweating

Question Sweating

My son has had 2 below knee amputations. He is doing well right now but I have one question. What can I do to prevent the sweating between his legs that causes redness and irritation? We keep it clean and I have used powders, ointments for moisture and anything else I could think of I try to open his legs to allow air to circulate but since the amputations, the legs don?t move well. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If he is developing contractures in his residual limbs, he needs to lean some exercises and ROM to maintain flexibility in the hip joint. Does he have HO by any chance?? It is also best to avoid synthetic slacks and underwear, like polyester, and instead go with 100% cotton or wool.

I have had good success using a wicking type fabric between skin folds that cause this problem. These can be combined with a light dusting of powder; don't cake it on, as this just makes the problem worse. An antifungal powder or something like Goldbond is best. Wash with gentle non-scented soap, rinse well, pat dry, then allow the area to air dry further, ideally in a frog position (he will need to get some range to do this). Some people dry with a cool hair dryer, but be careful as I have seen some pretty severe burns this way.

Lightly dust on the powder, then brush most of it off, and apply the wicking fabric. It both wicks and is antibacterial and antifungal because it is silver impregnated.

https://www.interdry.com/?gclid=Cj0K...0aAsoGEALw_wcB

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

sweating

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    If he is developing contractures in his residual limbs, he needs to lean some exercises and ROM to maintain flexibility in the hip joint. Does he have HO by any chance?? It is also best to avoid synthetic slacks and underwear, like polyester, and instead go with 100% cotton or wool.

I have had good success using a wicking type fabric between skin folds that cause this problem. These can be combined with a light dusting of powder; don't cake it on, as this just makes the problem worse. An antifungal powder or something like Goldbond is best. Wash with gentle non-scented soap, rinse well, pat dry, then allow the area to air dry further, ideally in a frog position (he will need to get some range to do this). Some people dry with a cool hair dryer, but be careful as I have seen some pretty severe burns this way.

Lightly dust on the powder, then brush most of it off, and apply the wicking fabric. It both wicks and is antibacterial and antifungal because it is silver impregnated.

https://www.interdry.com/?gclid=Cj0K...0aAsoGEALw_wcB

(KLD)
    Thank you for the information, KDL. I just purchased a big roll. It sounds like it will do the trick. Not sure what you mean by HO, though, His residual limbs don't move enough to allow frog position. You are correct about the range of motion. will see to that.

HO = Heterotopic ossification

https://craighospital.org/resources/...c-ossification

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Blog Entries
    Don't laugh. I bought some sham wows, cut them into squares and put a hole in the center to put Evans junk through, then creased the sides between his legs. OMG it worked like a charm, they absorb all the moisture and I would hand wash them to reuse. He used to have a major problem with rash or yeast between his legs. Not any more.

We use Tritec and Silvercell but Iam sure your solution is a lot cheaper.
    CWO