Thread: Wheelchair too narrow

Wheelchair too narrow

This is my first post, so hello everyone

I'm here looking for help with my wheelchair. I bought an RGK fixe about 18 months ago, and got a Kuschall K-series from wheelchair services about a year ago. Both the same width. They both fitted me well and I was happy with them. I have ms and a year ago i still was able to take a few steps, now I can't. I've lost weight both fat and muscles mass. And now both chairs are very uncomfortable. They feel too narrow.

My thighs are pressed up against the sideguards, my hips hurt and my whole pelvis feels like it is being squeezed from the sides

I've got a loner of a bigger chair, which is much more comfortable, but too long in the leg

My thought was to move the wheels, and sideguards out somehow. I've found some old posts about how to make the wheels sit further out from the seat, but they seem to involve taking axle pins apart,, and I don't want to start doing that until I'm sure I'm on the right track and I've figured out what to do about the sideguards and wheel locks

Any advice greatly appreciated

Blog Entries
    Many chairs (including my old Quickie GT and current Lasher) have camber tubes that can be adjusted in width, without messing with the quick release axle pins. I?d refer to the owner?s manuals of your 2 chairs.

The side guards can be spaced out by adding washers, which may necessitate sourcing longer screws.

If your chairs don?t offer any flexibility on the axle tube spacing, AND the nut on the end of your current axle pins are screwed on far enough, you can get ~.5? of expansion on each side by moving the end nut as far out as possible. Doing this allows space for a stack of washers to be placed on the pin to make up the space, effectively (potentially) adding ~1? to the over all width (.5 on each side).

You could buy longer axle pins also, and add washers.
    "Live your life in such a way that the fear of death can never enter your heart." -Tecumseh.

A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Many chairs (including my old Quickie GT and current Lasher) have camber tubes that can be adjusted in width, without messing with the quick release axle pins. I?d refer to the owner?s manuals of your 2 chairs.

The side guards can be spaced out by adding washers, which may necessitate sourcing longer screws.

If your chairs don?t offer any flexibility on the axle tube spacing, AND the nut on the end of your current axle pins are screwed on far enough, you can get ~.5? of expansion on each side by moving the end nut as far out as possible. Doing this allows space for a stack of washers to be placed on the pin to make up the space, effectively (potentially) adding ~1? to the over all width (.5 on each side).

You could buy longer axle pins also, and add washers.
    thanks so much for your reply

will check the manuals, but pretty sure the camber tubes are not adjustable. My pc isn't showing the measurement that you typed in, are you talking about adding half an inch either side or half a centimetre?

Easier if I could see it - can you post a photo with the chair dead on?
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LindsayO View Post
    thanks so much for your reply

will check the manuals, but pretty sure the camber tubes are not adjustable. My pc isn't showing the measurement that you typed in, are you talking about adding half an inch either side or half a centimetre?
    Inch.
    "Live your life in such a way that the fear of death can never enter your heart." -Tecumseh.

A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

Welcome, I hope you find a suitable answer. I am not very familiar with either RGK or Kuschall K-series but your worst case would be to replace the axle tube with a longer one. And to remove, that is don't use side guards. I don't use them, sometimes I wish I did, but usually no problem.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.