Thread: RIP John McDonald, MD, PhD

RIP John McDonald, MD, PhD

Such sad news. From the Christopher & Dana Reeve Paralysis Center Facebook page:

From Peter Wilderotter, President and CEO, Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation: It is with a heavy heart that we share the passing of a dear friend and advocate of the paralysis community, John W. McDonald, M.D., Ph.D. From his time as a postdoctoral fellow in the Reeve Foundation Consortium, John was an intellectual powerhouse, but he was best known for his magnetic personality and compassion. It is what set him apart and made him such a remarkable physician to so many individuals living with spinal cord injury. Over the years, he advanced research in spinal cord repair at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine while offering hope to his patients and their families. He embodied the spirit of our dual mission "Today's Care. Tomorrow's Cure" and his absence will be felt across the Foundation. Our hearts go out to his family and friends and hope they take comfort in John's legacy both as a scientist and friend of our community.
    https://www.facebook.com/ReeveFounda...type=3&theater

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 12-15-2017 at 03:41 PM.
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Wow, I just saw this earlier today, I'm shocked. I think he was younger than me (59) and looked great as I remember him. Rest in Peace John. I do remember talking with him some back in the early days of RTI.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Washington DC area--------------------T3 complete
    Oh wow - He was working at Kennedy Krieger Institute, which has ties to Johns Hopkins, a few years ago not sure if he was still there now. Sorry to hear of his passing

Superman's physician Dr McDonald passes

Many of the new ones won't know him but he was a major player early on in the functional electrical stimulation game.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I first met John in Washington DC on April 14th, 2008 after listening to his presentation on rehabilitative therapy. He was devoted to this work. Thoughts and prayers to all his friends and family.

Blog Entries
    This is just so heartbreaking. I got to enjoy some time with John during the early W2W DC rallies. His great kindness and humor paralleled his commitment to his work. I send my deepest condolences to his family, friends, and colleagues.

Name:  Randy-John McDonald 18.jpg
Views: 2188
Size:  119.4 KB
    Last edited by Random; 12-16-2017 at 07:17 PM.

he was at washington university in mo when i was there really nice great guy
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

I recall meeting him at the first rally in 2005 and then the subsequent ones. He was always kind to everyone I met and early on a strong proponent of stem cell research (I thought he went to South America for a while). Lost track of his research but he was an early torchbearer of hope.

Sad news.

I thought that too - the South American thing to work on monkeys and get around the standards in the US both for animal research and stem cells. Wonder what happened with that.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12