Thread: Golfers elbow won't go away...

Golfers elbow won't go away...

Long story short, I've been dealing with golfers elbow (medial epicondylitis) for about a year now. Had a cortisone shot early on and was pain free for a few months and then it wore off. Unfortunately, everything involved in squeezing, holding, twisting, etc. with my right hand aggravates this injury. As a manual wheelchair user, resting one arm isn't an option and I can't take NSAIDs because of my blood thinner. Having no trunk control puts even more stress on my hands/arms.

I've tried the "band-it" brace, compression sleeves, theraband flexbar excersises, ice, kenesio tape, etc. with little success. Has anyone that has dealt with this for a long time, found a good solution?

Have you been working with a PT or OT? Have you used analgesic balms like Counterpain or Deep Blue or Aspercreme? Have you talked to your physician about a second injection? While frequent injections are not a good idea, one a year is acceptable.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I have the same nagging pain. It was worse when I was handcycling a lot. I had PT friend let me borrow a Game Ready (http://gameready.com/gr-pro-cold-therapy-unit/) and used cold compression on a daily basis for a while. It helped some, but I've just gotten used to it. It's aggravating at night though - trying to get my arm in a comfortable position. I would say try ketorolac but you said you can't take NSAIDs. I'll take one when it gets really bad and I notice a difference usually the day after.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Have you been working with a PT or OT? Have you used analgesic balms like Counterpain or Deep Blue or Aspercreme? Have you talked to your physician about a second injection? While frequent injections are not a good idea, one a year is acceptable.

(KLD)
    I haven't been working with a PT at this point, due to other medical expenses I've had this year. Hopefully I can try that soon. I'm hesitant to get another injection since the first one only helped temporarily, not to mention it was by far the most painful shot I have had in my life. I need a permanent solution.

Topical NSAIDs & rocktape (brand of kinesiology tape that I find to be more effective bc stickier) and PT concurrently. That has worked for me.

It might not be medial epicondylitis but I get similar symptoms if I rest the inside of my elbow on a hard surface, for instance when I prop myself up when typing, on the sink edge when washing up, even on the arm rest when driving long distances. It doesn't hurt straight away but if I don't pad my elbows I pay for it later. Sounds bonkers I know but try putting a stuffed sock between the inside of your elbow and any hard surface you're propping yourself up on. Resting on the end of the elbow causes no concern but that little knob where the tendons attach ...

When the weather changes mostly to low-pressure my "tennis elbow" really kicks in. Have tried the cortisone shots but the only relief I have found is with a elbow wrap or strap and ibuprofen. Your absolutely correct in saying that was the most painful shot I ever had.

The only recommendation would be not to aggravate it when you have a flare up. Sometimes all you can do is put up with it while trying to rest it at the same time.

I've had this off and on for about 4 yrs. I know what you're going through.

It stems from a lot of mouse clicking from FPS PC gaming I've played over the past 18 years + I drive a lot using hand controls so the muscles are always under strain! Still do a bit of gaming but cut back a lot. (Now have an upright mouse from 3M)

It was so bad i paid $20 a few years back to get videos from a guys website for exercises! I thought I'd been conned!

I was told to get a broom handle, string, 1ltr plastic water bottle, a hammer and a can of soup!

Anyway, what you do is fill the bottle, tie it to the string and broom handle and basically wind it up and down! Painfull at first, but gradualy building up day by day it was releiving the pain. I beleive it helps strengthen the muscle under strain.

With the hammer you do wrist curls in different directions palm up, palm down. Fist away from you, fist back (holding the hammer at the very bottom).

Same thing as the hammer with the soup can (or coke can or whatever you can grip). Laying your forearm on a flat surface as you do the reps. You don't have to do this for long periods, just build up slowly. (you may find these exercises out there on youtube these days?)

These exercises have helped, but I don't think I'll get rid of the problem anytime soon, as the muscle is always under heavy use as a self caring low level quad.

Alternative hot/cold water soaks help too, whilst massaging the area.

I bought an el cheapo simple Tens device in a supermarket a few months ago. It has a velcro collar wich can be strapped on to the elbow/knee joint. I place it so the "shock" parts are right on the tender muscles and slowly ramp up the levels. It has 2 alternating kinds of current, one that shocks, another which is more subtle. Now this has REALLY helped with the pain. I wish I would have got one years ago.

Anyway thats my experiance.

I hope you can get some releif to your elbow somehow, good luck!