Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 24 or 26 inch wheels? 12 or 24 spokes?

Quote Originally Posted by erikferret View Post
    If I am meant to hang my arm down and reach the hub I probably should stay with smaller tires.
    When ordering a new chair, the size of the wheel/tire will not affect whether your hand reaches the hub, unless you are reaching around the tire, as the chair will be designed for what wheel size you order. (Another words, it will be the same no matter which you chose; if you change the wheel after the fact, that changes things.) Being shorter, 24" wheels may be the better option for you. I don't know what brand you are looking at, but TiLite used to have demo's available in states, you may want to check with them; I demo'd a TiLite before I ordered.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    you're going to change the geometry for your chair and have to think about making adjustments to your chair as you swap out wheel tire combinations.

That would be your Center of Gravity, brake alignment, side guard alignment, caster flutter etc..

All of this is important!

Adding bigger wheels without making caster adjustments will mean you are tilted forward a bit more and are at a slightly increased risk of tipping forward if you hit a bump or crack in the sidewalk.

And anytime you change tire sizes your casters will no longer be level. The difference/change may not be enough for you to care, but they will need to be adjusted to bring them back true and level.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Where are you in the PNW ?
    Most supplies will let you demo a chair for a week in our region. ( not saying you have to go with them, but at least you'd get to try out their chair.) with the wheel size you specify.
    I've been going through a similar routine.

These guys do a sweet carbon fiber chair you should check out .. it's pretty sweet and not crazy expensive
    https://www.motioncomposites.com/en/...sites-website/
    I tried it for a week, but I'm over 6' and 200lbs and it was not quite robust enough for my statue in my opinion, but if I was your height and weight I'd be all over it.
    Definitely get in contact with a rep and try a chair for a week or two.

Quote Originally Posted by erikferret View Post
    I keep going back and forth. its a good thing I haven't placed my order yet. I am a really small guy like, 4'10 and 120 lbs (okay so I'm a little stocky) and I have significant contracture at my elbows. If I am meant to hang my arm down and reach the hub I probably should stay with smaller tires. I wish it was easier to try out various configurations. When you buy a car you can test drive a bunch of cars. Having a wheelchair made (and paying out of pocket) is a really serious purchase and yet there is less access to useable demos. Even if I was working with a DME demo chairs never ever fit. In an ideal world I would fly to Texas and have my chair speced out at Box but between working and my physical needs (it would be best if I travel with a PA) I don't think that is going to happen.

I like larger diameter wheels and tires for my shoulders. When I lift my butt off the cushion its all shoulder with the 540s. The additional height of the 559s let me use more triceps and less shoulders. The additional height can be a larger obstacle if you transfer over it. But I transfer to/from the front corner of the cushion so the wheel never interferes.

I am tempted to go larger than 559. But it's already hard enough to get my 559s into my car. Any larger would tear up my car.

Would definitely want to check with your specific car, but I'm chucking 27" 700c wheels on the back seat right now, and don't think any more about it... Honda crv for reference. Baby and the baby seat are also on the back seat

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    I like larger diameter wheels and tires for my shoulders. When I lift my butt off the cushion its all shoulder with the 540s. The additional height of the 559s let me use more triceps and less shoulders. The additional height can be a larger obstacle if you transfer over it. But I transfer to/from the front corner of the cushion so the wheel never interferes.

I am tempted to go larger than 559. But it's already hard enough to get my 559s into my car. Any larger would tear up my car.

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    Would definitely want to check with your specific car, but I'm chucking 27" 700c wheels on the back seat right now, and don't think any more about it... Honda crv for reference. Baby and the baby seat are also on the back seat
    You list an incomplete injury and your picture shows you standing. I suppose you have the ability to be outside of your SUV while placing the wheels in the back. I don't have that ability. I sit in the driver seat of a car while placing the wheels inside. Doing it this way the wheels have very little clearance from the ceiling and seats. It's already a constant struggle with 559s. Even if I am super careful so that the wheels don't dirty/tear the ceiling, there is still the problem of limited front seat space. The back has more space, but reaching behind like that is hard on the shoulders. All these problems go away if you can be outside the car while placing the wheels in the back. I just don't have that option.

I am a c5-6 quadriplegic with no triceps. I've been hurt for going on 17 years. Up until about two years ago I was pushing 24 inch wheels. My shoulders and biceps are fairly strong but when it came to steep ramps and fairly large thresholds through doorways, I needed assistance all the time. A buddy of mine allowed me to demo his ergo frame chair for about a month. He is at least 6'6" and pushed 26 inch wheels. When I got into the chair the first time it was definitely quite an adjustment. I had to change my way of pushing slightly and figure out a whole new way to do a weight shift. I used 24s initially because my weight shift was being able to lock my arms out on the push rims and lift up. After a month of using his chair I knew I never wanted to go back to a chair setup that I have had for the first 15 years of my injury. I gambled big time and ordered a brand-new title TR three with 26 inch wheels and I have never been so comfortable and confident in my pushing ability. Going up to 26 inch wheels has allowed me to get up half to three quarters of the curb cuts out there that I could not even attempt before. I can push much faster in less strokes and because of the ergo frame partnered with 26 inch wheels, I can easily pop over thresholds. I would highly recommend my set up for anybody with a similar injury to me as I have been more independent in the last two years then I have the whole first 15 years my injury. My only word of advice is that you must demo a chair appropriately set up with that size of wheel! if you have a frame currently set up for 24 inch wheels and you pop 26 on you will definitely have issues as it will take the dump out of your chair which for me is extremely crucial since I have no trunk control whatsoever.

I would be curious to see you in your chair with that setup krshirk; very interesting story.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

I ended up configuring the chair with 559's. It's gonna be an everyday suspension chair from Box. 15" wide with ergo seating and an ADI back. It turned out to be more expensive than I thought with the seating, straps, brakes, shocks, wheels etc. But I went for it. I havent had a new manual chair in 20years, its time. I probably won't see it until Spring. Oh the waiting!

Yeah my avatar picture is my dream. I can't walk or stand. and the whole complete/incomplete thing is so sketchy(conversation for another thread).
    I'm the same as you.. I also have to transfer into the drivers seat and then break down my chair and pass the whole chair and wheels over my lap. At this point everything goes on the passenger seat and the wheels go in the back, just what works for me.
    Even when I was using smaller wheels I still put them in the back seat.
    Just my 2 cents, if you're really thinking of larger wheels get a demo chair or find someone with the larger wheels for you to try in your car if the car is the limiting factor. I can totally understand how larger wheels would be a pain in the ass for the car.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    You list an incomplete injury and your picture shows you standing. I suppose you have the ability to be outside of your SUV while placing the wheels in the back. I don't have that ability. I sit in the driver seat of a car while placing the wheels inside. Doing it this way the wheels have very little clearance from the ceiling and seats. It's already a constant struggle with 559s. Even if I am super careful so that the wheels don't dirty/tear the ceiling, there is still the problem of limited front seat space. The back has more space, but reaching behind like that is hard on the shoulders. All these problems go away if you can be outside the car while placing the wheels in the back. I just don't have that option.