Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Van users

It is interesting reading about our differing opinions and experiences. My first van was a 1976 Chevy van where I transferred into the drivers seat. It took some trial to figure out the best way to feel comfortable steering, as I found it hard to turn left; I came to learn to leave the seat up high and as close as I could to the steering wheel. In 1985 I started driving from the chair and have ever since and I much prefer not having to transfer, as it is time consuming; I have always had full-size vans. Like John, I cannot get up the ramps in mini-vans easily and I find my full-size van tight enough, I cannot imagine a mini. I have had a couple fun vehicles through the years, where I drove from the drivers seat, one a Chevelle and the other a lifted truck.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

can the sprinters been driven from a chair?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    It is interesting reading about our differing opinions and experiences. My first van was a 1976 Chevy van where I transferred into the drivers seat. It took some trial to figure out the best way to feel comfortable steering, as I found it hard to turn left; I came to learn to leave the seat up high and as close as I could to the steering wheel. In 1985 I started driving from the chair and have ever since and I much prefer not having to transfer, as it is time consuming; I have always had full-size vans. Like John, I cannot get up the ramps in mini-vans easily and I find my full-size van tight enough, I cannot imagine a mini. I have had a couple fun vehicles through the years, where I drove from the drivers seat, one a Chevelle and the other a lifted truck.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    I haven't seen anything that shows you can, but I haven't looked much either; I am using an E-150, so I am hoping something is developed for us that like driving full-size vans.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    I don't think so. The battery is under the driver's seat, so it precludes rolling a wheelchair into the driver's position.

wtf, a sensitized steering system would help, even more than power steering.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I don't think so. The battery is under the driver's seat, so it precludes rolling a wheelchair into the driver's position.

(KLD)
    how about the new full sized fords. the transfer isn't hard its gravity both weighs but my shoulders are beat up so thinking down the road.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Eurovan has rack and pinion, not so easy and cheap as a steering box to modify.

Quote Originally Posted by air ohs View Post
    Talk to your suppliers folks. the steering can be made wayyyyyy easier they do mods on the steering gearbox. had mine done and its two finger steering.

I (C7) use a Honda Odyssey with VMI mods. I lock down my manual chair with an EZ-Lock and transfer to the Honda drivers seat. I've had way too many instances of others driving the van--valet parking, someone backing the van out of a tight spot or just driving for me when I'm too tired--to ever consider removing the drivers seat before I'm physically unable the transfer. My steering is effortless.

Great video, you have a nice van. Yeah, I noticed it was harder to steer and brake too. I'm just nervous I'll get the van and won't drive it, because I'm scared.

sorry, I forgot how to post to a certain user (fuentes)
    A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post

(KLD)
    Sensitized steering is an option, but I didn't get a quote for that, I'm sure it's an expensive option. I just wondered if certain makes (toyota, honda, chrysler, dodge) if one was easier to steer than another. But, it appears everyone here is driving a full-size.
    A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    Sensitized steering is an option, but I didn't get a quote for that, I'm sure it's an expensive option. I just wondered if certain makes (toyota, honda, chrysler, dodge) if one was easier to steer than another. But, it appears everyone here is driving a full-size.
    I just asked my wife about the difference between driving the car she usually drives, (any car actually) and the van. Actually now we happen to have two, a full size Express Chevy and a conversion Rollx Grand Caravan. She said there is no difference except she sits up higher and likes it. So then I asked her about the steering and brakes. No difference. She is no wrestler. I checked with her if I could type this, she can't get the lid off a peanut butter jar. So why the disparity in experiences here? John has long noted his brakes are inferior, and now you state steering is harder too. I think I have a theory. John's and my van are of the same mold, but very different. Mine is bare bones. It is what you would call a work cargo van, no insulation, no flooring, no back seats, no ceiling beyond the driver, and nothing on the side walls except where the doors are. Also it has not been converted except for hand controls. It has no power lift for what ever that would add to the weight. So the lighter weight than John's just might make it easier to drive.
    On the other hand, our mini van has eveything, two six way seats, power ramp, lowered floor and added weight of ground effects. She says the mini is also as easy to drive.

That said, if it were me now that I've done this and could start over, I would get a new or slightly used full size cargo van with at least one power sliding door already installed and have it converted with two six way seats, hand controls and power lift.
    Of the bunch the hand controls is the hardest to select and get adjusted to suit IMO.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.