Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: new backrest options

  1. #1

    new backrest options

    I know i posted about this back in october however i finally got a call from my DME and have an appointment with next tuesday to start the process of getting a new backrest. i have some major spasticity in my legs which has gotten a bit better with wearing the night splints. however my back is still hurting quite a bit and i am still spending quite a bit of time in bed as being in the chair often causes more pain. i have heard roho and adi are good but want opinions what does everyone else use? thinking i want option of air as well as i have pressure sore history.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Panama City, FL
    Posts
    669
    I started using a Roho Agility mid contour a few months ago. Very comfortable and provides great lateral support. I installed it upside down because my shoulders are broad.
    "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    2,600
    I'm using a demo Ride Designs Java with 6" depth back (on loan from Numotion for over six months as they're so unorganized) and that extra lateral support and higher back have improved my chair endurance considerably.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by 24/7 Quad View Post
    I started using a Roho Agility mid contour a few months ago. Very comfortable and provides great lateral support. I installed it upside down because my shoulders are broad.
    this is the one i was looking at thanks i know the RTC that i am meeting with is also going to bring the service manager in who is also in a chair to get his insight. just wanted a few ideas to bounce off of him.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashms View Post
    I have some major spasticity in my legs which has gotten a bit better with wearing the night splints. however my back is still hurting quite a bit and i am still spending quite a bit of time in bed as being in the chair often causes more pain.
    Have you considered baclofen pump? It is the only thing that works reliably long-term on my spasms. When the spasms went away so did my lower back pain. I add a bolus at night time to give extra relaxation for sleep. Otherwise, I wake up with back pain. It's hard to tell if the pain is coming from the spams until the spasms are fully under control. Even then it may take a while. It took a few weeks for my pain to go away after the spams stopped.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Have you considered baclofen pump? It is the only thing that works reliably long-term on my spasms. When the spasms went away so did my lower back pain. I add a bolus at night time to give extra relaxation for sleep. Otherwise, I wake up with back pain. It's hard to tell if the pain is coming from the spams until the spasms are fully under control. Even then it may take a while. It took a few weeks for my pain to go away after the spams stopped.
    i have not tried that yet they just within the last few months have been out of control. we have tried oral baclofen and night splints which seem to be helping i rather not have another surgery if i can help it. way back when i was first injured i was on oral baclofen for about 3 years then i weaned myself off of it as it didn't seem to be helping much. i guess it's something to look into but right now we are trying to go the least invasive method as i want to be off of meds if i can be.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashms View Post
    i rather not have another surgery if i can help it... i want to be off of meds if i can be.
    Everyone says that including me. I delayed and delayed getting the pump. It cost me a broken hip and big problems with health, social life, and career before I got the pump. Best choice I ever made for improving quality of life.

    By the way, I have yet to meet anyone for whom oral baclofen worked on strong spams. It might take the edge off, but if the spasms are strong, they will win over the pills. The pump will control them without the side effects.

  8. #8
    definetly something to think about and i'm not ruling it out right away but we want to try conserative things first. which is why we are fixing the chair.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-16-2015, 06:06 PM
  2. ADI AL Backrest weight vs Roho backrest weight
    By Canucks in forum Equipment
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-12-2014, 10:48 AM
  3. ADI AL Backrest weight vs Roho backrest weight
    By Canucks in forum Equipment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-18-2014, 04:58 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-16-2009, 02:27 AM
  5. backrest
    By Sh0rty in forum Equipment
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 02-25-2006, 11:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •