Thread: permobil f3 ez lock bracket or qstraint

permobil f3 ez lock bracket or qstraint

hello
    can anyone post a picture of what the bracket looks like for the permobil f3
    local company wants $750 to install on my new chair
    my dad is a welder and can probably make one for me at a fraction of the cost

I can't tell you what these brackets look like, but I would caution that these brackets, pin designs and plates have been crash tested to RESNA (Rehabilitation Engineering and Assistive Technology Society of North America) standards. I'm not doubting the skills of your father as a welder, but I wonder if it is worth cutting corners and not have the certification standing behind the product that is a major piece of safety equipment in your van.

http://www.resna.org

http://wc-transportation-safety.umtr...ts/wheelchairs

I got a Permobil F3 in July and am currently going through the vehicle lockdown process myself. I currently have a Permobil C300 and use a quickie GP swing away with the power assisted extender system as a backup and secondary chair. I also use the EZ lock system for a driving lockdown in a 2010 Honda Odyssey, which came out of my previous full-size Ford van.

My vehicle provider was able to configure both lockdown brackets on the two chairs so I can drive in either one (C300 or extender system). This is critical since I use the backup chair when my primary power chair is in the shop, or when I need to go to certain healthcare providers and I know I will have to be lifted out of the chair and strangers will be handling the chair. It is much harder for personnel to safely lift the patient out of a power chair with the high back and other crap that is in the way, not to mention that they have to move the chair out of the way and they will most likely be unfamiliar with handling a power chair.

My new F3, even though it is a mid-wheel drive, is constructed a bit differently such that the standard EZ lock bracket has the lockdown bolt in a different position than the C300. The result is that I cannot presently use both power chairs in the car. I am okay with the C300 as presently, but the F3 has me too close to the wheel. If the floor mount component of the lockdown is moved backward to accommodate the F3, I will be too far back for the C300. The difference is close, only about 2 inches, but that distance is critical in comfort when driving.

However, and this is good news, my vehicle provider said that they can custom fabricate a new plate for the bottom of the power chair, which will be able to keep the lockdown apparatus on the floor in its present position, thus allowing me to use my two present chairs, as well as the new F3.

I didn't find this out until the standard bracket was already mounted on the chair.

Thus, my advice is the following. If you do not presently have a lockdown I would go with the Qstraint system as its profile allows a shorter bolt to be used on the chair, and decreasing the likelihood of snagging a potential obstruction like a door threshold or uneven section pavement, such as a curb cut. I was also told they have a greater variety of brackets for the bottom of the chair.

If, on the other hand, you already have an easy lock system and you have a new chair and you wish to use the present chair as a backup chair, then have your dealer turn the power chair on its side (obviously you cannot be in it) and they will measure the horizontal distance between a vertical line running through the center of the drive wheel and the center of the bolt. This distance will have to be re-created in the new bracket and may require some custom fabrication. In my situation, it will acquire either the tracing of a new bracket on a sheet of steel to be cut out, or the welding of an extension piece on to the front of the existing bracket. The bottom line is, let them know that you want to use a backup chair and have them get dimensions off of the desired backup chair before they start.

If you are starting from scratch and do not have a lockdown, then you will need to do the same, only starting with the measurements of the primary chair and the replication of that measurement in the backup chair.

As an aside, if it is required that I move my floor bracket and have new holes drilled in the floor to move rearward then I will need to modify the bracket on either of my present two chairs, or at least one of them to use as a backup. In this regard they said it will be easier to custom fabricate a bracket on the power assist system than on the C300.

All told, it is a pain in the ass and I have not been able to use my new F3 as my full-time chair until I get this resolved. Part of this resolution involves getting into my wheelchair clinic because I think my back, an Invacare matrix elite is mounted a little too far forward. If the back can be moved rearward then the 2 inch difference may become only a 1 inch difference.

The point here is to get all of your wheelchair configurations, especially in the forward/backward directions, set before you have the vehicle dealer start fabricating and altering your vehicle to accommodate the new chair.

Hi Crags
    Wondering how you are coming as i may have similiar issues. I am starting from scratch on chair and vehicle. Planning on atc suv conversion for vehicle. Just starting to look at chairs but liking m3 permobil. it looks like easiest loxk would be ez lock but i am concerned about The bolt on chair catching on stuf as i am outside and not always level ground What other lock or tie down systems would be fast and ez but not have the clearance problems for the chair when not driving/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pete4sake View Post
    Hi Crags
    Wondering how you are coming as i may have similiar issues. I am starting from scratch on chair and vehicle. Planning on atc suv conversion for vehicle. Just starting to look at chairs but liking m3 permobil. it looks like easiest loxk would be ez lock but i am concerned about The bolt on chair catching on stuf as i am outside and not always level ground What other lock or tie down systems would be fast and ez but not have the clearance problems for the chair when not driving/
    At one point Permobil had their own locking system where the bolt retracted into the body of the chair when not in use.