Thread: Box wheelchairs anyone?

Box wheelchairs anyone?

Not sure why but I've started lusting after a Box wheelchair. I'm not going to be shredding on any half pipes but there is something really unique about those chairs. Anybody have one? Is it hard to push with all that suspension?

I should probably wait and let any Box users or those with better knowledge chime in, but Mike builds those chairs fully custom to your desire, I do believe, so if you do not want suspension, don't request it. Any post I have seen on a Box chair has always been positive.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

probably the most inexpensive, lightest, trouble-free wheelchair on the market. I know many quads who use his chairs and not one has a single bad thing to say about them. 5-6 years back haters would say the welds look like crap, but I have seen some beautifully crafted Box chairs in the last couple years. The word is he now employs a few different builders to meet the demand, some better than others.

They are incredibly rigid yet amazingly light. It's deceiving by looking at them because there is a lot of structure. The secret, I'm told, is they use very thin-walled aluminum tubing.

One guy in particular I know is hard on chairs. He drives a 4wd Chev Colorado, breaks down the chair and brings it in the cab with him sans hand function. Stuff gets dropped, but never breaks.

If you are able to, set up a time to go for a visit to see Mike. He will check out what you are in and what you need. I lot of chair users worry about the non-adjustability of his chairs, especially the COG. Every guy I ever knew that ordered a completely non-adjustable cog model never regretted it. Saves a pound, at least. It's funny how other chair builders make a huge deal about having a transfer weight of under 10 lbs, yet Box takes it for granted.
    fwiw, My $7000 Lasher BT-Mg is the same weight as my buddy's $2200 Box. (don't quote me on prices, things change)

3 sticking points, as far as I can recall-
    If you plan on using a certain wheelset other than Spinergy brand make sure he knows what you want. I've heard due to hub-spacing there could be some interference to either frame members or side guards and you'll be stuck using what the chair was built with.
    sideguard height - some guys in wetter climates like the taller sideguards, most people don't. Let him know exactly what you want.
    backrest - if you think you will ever want to use a solid backrest supply it to him so the chair can be made to use it.

As to the suspension models "hard to push" - I know C5 quads with full suspension models that get along fine. Personally, I don't think suspension on a wheelchair is necessary unless you plan on bombing down mountain trails (and have a lot of trunk control to do so)

Post it when you get it!

Awhile back on this forum, a young adult with special needs in addition to SCI was searching for a new chair. She ended up having a chair built by Mike Box, who custom-built it for her special needs for a reasonable price using some components she provided. She was thrilled.

if I remember correctly, Mike Box founded Colours Wheelchairs. After he sold it, he just continued making chairs.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Mike did a nice job on that chair he build for her Chas. I think it was Mike's brother who started Colours. I think his name was John.

yep, john box founded colours and mike was his lead builder. both great ppl. I ran colours for many years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Mike did a nice job on that chair he build for her Chas. I think it was Mike's brother who started Colours. I think his name was John.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    probably the most inexpensive, lightest, trouble-free wheelchair on the market. I know many quads who use his chairs and not one has a single bad thing to say about them. 5-6 years back haters would say the welds look like crap, but I have seen some beautifully crafted Box chairs in the last couple years. The word is he now employs a few different builders to meet the demand, some better than others.

They are incredibly rigid yet amazingly light. It's deceiving by looking at them because there is a lot of structure. The secret, I'm told, is they use very thin-walled aluminum tubing.

One guy in particular I know is hard on chairs. He drives a 4wd Chev Colorado, breaks down the chair and brings it in the cab with him sans hand function. Stuff gets dropped, but never breaks.

If you are able to, set up a time to go for a visit to see Mike. He will check out what you are in and what you need. I lot of chair users worry about the non-adjustability of his chairs, especially the COG. Every guy I ever knew that ordered a completely non-adjustable cog model never regretted it. Saves a pound, at least. It's funny how other chair builders make a huge deal about having a transfer weight of under 10 lbs, yet Box takes it for granted.
    fwiw, My $7000 Lasher BT-Mg is the same weight as my buddy's $2200 Box. (don't quote me on prices, things change)

3 sticking points, as far as I can recall-
    If you plan on using a certain wheelset other than Spinergy brand make sure he knows what you want. I've heard due to hub-spacing there could be some interference to either frame members or side guards and you'll be stuck using what the chair was built with.
    sideguard height - some guys in wetter climates like the taller sideguards, most people don't. Let him know exactly what you want.
    backrest - if you think you will ever want to use a solid backrest supply it to him so the chair can be made to use it.

As to the suspension models "hard to push" - I know C5 quads with full suspension models that get along fine. Personally, I don't think suspension on a wheelchair is necessary unless you plan on bombing down mountain trails (and have a lot of trunk control to do so)

Post it when you get it!
    thin-walled aluminum tubing? How can it stand through all the abuse? My SCW was twisted on flight even with thick walled tubing.
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

There's a 10 year warranty on the frame so they must be doing something to make it strong enough. Plus, the flagship chair was built for that guy that lands double backflips in his chair...

Yep John and Mike Box great people I have known them for over 20 years. I have a had a few colours eclipse chairs their flag ship chair back in the day. I also used to play a lot of wheelchairs sports against the colours team great athletes.

I own a Box custom wheelchair. It was delivered in 2015...I've been injured for 10 years now and owned 5 wheelchairs. TI's, Quickie's and the marvel M1.
    The box is hands down the best in everyway. The only caveat is you should know exactly what you want the chair to be...measurements etc since there is almost no adjustability. See Google photos link for some pics of my ride.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZDfxmsf8N1NZXmOA3