Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what external condom caths are the best these days

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    A skin barrier of some kind is recommended for all condom catheters. These protect the skin and help with adhesive adhesion. Tincture of Benzoine is an old product that we haven't used for years. Skin Prep is one brand but not the only one. Some others you may want to try include the 3M Cavilon No-Sting barrier wipes, Webcol (Preppies) wipes, Safe-N-Simple Skin Barrier Wipes, Convatec AllKare barrier wipes, Medline SurePrep wipes, and Sensi-Care Sting-Free barrier wipe.

John, you might also try the use of a (reusable) Posey (826550) Sheath Holder. I have used these for problems with retraction for my clients for many years.

(KLD)
    thx kld. I like the idea of the spray. do they work as well as wipes?
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Yes, the spray is fine, although may be more expensive, and harder to keep it just in the area you want to apply it (can get onto your pubic hair, etc.). I prefer the sprays for covering large areas such as the buttocks or thighs for those who have urine incontinence or diarrhea, and the wipes for smaller areas such as under condom catheters or ostomy appliances, or tape for dressings.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I switched to the Spirit 3 about 6 months ago from years of using the Coloplast Freedom Clear. In combination with skin prep they seem to be working well.

got it, that makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Yes, the spray is fine, although may be more expensive, and harder to keep it just in the area you want to apply it (can get onto your pubic hair, etc.). I prefer the sprays for covering large areas such as the buttocks or thighs for those who have urine incontinence or diarrhea, and the wipes for smaller areas such as under condom catheters or ostomy appliances, or tape for dressings.

(KLD)
    Quote Originally Posted by beckman View Post
    I switched to the Spirit 3 about 6 months ago from years of using the Coloplast Freedom Clear. In combination with skin prep they seem to be working well.
    which skin prep does everyone prefer. kld, u listed several
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Have used the 3M Cavilon in my practice for many years, and prefer it.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

3M Cavilon for me, too. Kinda spendy; I only use it at night.

thx much guys. ordered some cavilon from amazon
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    thx much guys. ordered some cavilon from amazon
    Two thumbs up on the 3M Cavilon been using as a barrier on behind for years shop around for pricing tho.

agree that Cavilon is good but it is pricey. If folks haven't already give Skin Tac a try. Cheaper and i actually thinks works better.

Quote Originally Posted by hugheswf View Post
    agree that Cavilon is good but it is pricey. If folks haven't already give Skin Tac a try. Cheaper and i actually thinks works better.
    that stuff looks serious. does it irritate your penis? I will try it. I have samples of inview will try one tonight. thx all.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com