Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: what external condom caths are the best these days

what external condom caths are the best these days

I had posted about bard Rochester wide bands not working like they used to b4 bard bought Rochester. kld mentioned spirit 3, I'm waiting on samples. bard is terrible regarding customer service... the wideband clearly have changed, they used to easily last all night with me moving around a lot now having issues.
    so any recommendations?
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I use the Conveen Ultima but when active i add one of these straps ...no leak no falling off.

https://www.sportaid.com/posey-sheath-holders.html

Don't know if you use skin prep, but that will help the Wide Bands stay on overnight. They can actually get a little hard to get off if you overdo it.

Totally agree with Sit n fly . . . skin prep is key. I use Skin TAC wipe and it is very effective. Also, try the Hollister InView Extra

I have a stupid question about condom caths (I do IC every 4.5 hours): your urinal sphincter has to open for a condom cath to work. Typically, leaking is associated with unacceptably high bladder pressures. So for condom cath users how do you avoid high bladder pressures?
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    I have a stupid question about condom caths (I do IC every 4.5 hours): your urinal sphincter has to open for a condom cath to work. Typically, leaking is associated with unacceptably high bladder pressures. So for condom cath users how do you avoid high bladder pressures?
    for me my sphincter opens by itself between 300 to 400 ml

So as long as you leak at low pressures <25 psi?) then condom Caths are a no brainer.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

I cath 3 times per day and reflex void. I only wear external cath at night. I void at about 4-600ml
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

thx gents, back in the day I used benzoin, hated it. I switched to the wideband to avoid skin prep. haven't used since. I requested samples of the Hollister too thx.
    seems theres less adhesive up near head now so you get turtle(retraction ) issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sit-N-Fly View Post
    Don't know if you use skin prep, but that will help the Wide Bands stay on overnight. They can actually get a little hard to get off if you overdo it.
    Quote Originally Posted by hugheswf View Post
    Totally agree with Sit n fly . . . skin prep is key. I use Skin TAC wipe and it is very effective. Also, try the Hollister InView Extra
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

A skin barrier of some kind is recommended for all condom catheters. These protect the skin and help with adhesive adhesion. Tincture of Benzoine is an old product that we haven't used for years. Skin Prep is one brand but not the only one. Some others you may want to try include the 3M Cavilon No-Sting barrier wipes, Webcol (Preppies) wipes, Safe-N-Simple Skin Barrier Wipes, Convatec AllKare barrier wipes, Medline SurePrep wipes, and Sensi-Care Sting-Free barrier wipe.

John, you might also try the use of a (reusable) Posey (826550) Sheath Holder. I have used these for problems with retraction for my clients for many years.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.