Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hip joint problem

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

hip joint problem

When I reach for something low while I am sitting in my wheelchair, my right hip joint pops. After it has popped, my right leg tingles and feels uncomfortable. As far back as I can remember since I have used a wheelchair, my right hip joint has always popped, but as of late, I have been experiencing discomfort in my leg after my hip joint.
    Does this happen to anyone else, if so, how or were you able to fix your hip?

You may have a chronic dislocating hip, which can occur in people with paralysis. Suggest you see a good orthopedic surgeon and get an exam and some Xrays done to see if this is your problem.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Ok, I’ll have my primary care physician refer me to an orthopedic surgeon.
    Thank you KLD

My physician had me get some xrays, and these were the results:
    Mild bilateral hip arthritis. Bulky joint osteophytes, heterotopic calcifications, and calcific tendinosis.

Narrative
    XRAY BILATERAL HIP

** HISTORY **:
    33 year old man, bilateral hip pain.

** TECHNIQUE **:

1 view each of the left and right hip and 1 view of the pelvis were acquired.

** FINDINGS **:
    No acute fracture or dislocation.

Arthritis Grade: Mild Arthritis (Tonnis 1). Large bulky osteophyte formation around the bilateral femoral acetabular joints most prominent inferiorly. Heterotopic calcifications and calcific tendinosis bilaterally.

I messaged my doctor about the results, but he hasn’t replied yet. Do you know what they mean?

It sounds like you have both arthritic changes in your hip joint, as well as some HO. Have you ever been told you had HO in the past? Have you ever had it in another joint? You should discuss with the orthopedic physician the pros and cons of treatment of HO with medications. If it shows up on an Xray, it has been there for a while, and other drugs such as anti-inflammatories or radiation therapy are generally not recommended. He may want to get a bone scan done to determine if this is still actively growing HO, or if it has matured already.

Here is some information about HO in SCI: https://craighospital.org/resources/...c-ossification

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I requested a visit with a physical therapist regarding treatment for my hip. The physical therapist recommended I perform hip rotations and abductions. He also suggested using an easy stand, so during my physical therapy appointment this past Friday, he had me try out an easy stand and he thinks it would be a good therapeutic tool that will help my hips. I told him that I don’t have an easy stand, so he told me he’d put in a request with my hmo’s dme in order to provide one for me because it’s a medical necessity. I hope the order gets approved.

My request for an Easy Stand was denied. My HMO is Kaiser Medicare Senior Advantage and my order was denied because Medicare does not cover standing frames, but I have the option to appeal their decision. I am going to have my doctor send me to have x-rays of my hip's current condition and refer me to physical therapy so I can gather enough information to back up my appeal.

Good luck. No evidence though that 1) Xray is a good method of documentation of osteoporosis (you need a DEXA scan for that) nor that 2) use of a standing frame helps prevent or treat osteoporosis.

Standing can help with hip ROM, bowel function, and spasticity, but Medicare does not consider those "medical necessity" reasons for a standing frame either. You will probably end up having to purchase a standing frame on your own. Good thing, they are often available used.

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 09-25-2018 at 03:19 PM.

I had an appointment with my doctor this morning and I asked him if it will be medicare or kaiser that will handle my appeal. My doctor told me that Kaiser is going to handle my appeal and would ultimately fulfill my request for the Easystand. I have 60 days to appeal, so I’m going to begin composing a letter that mentions all of the health benefits I will gain with use of the Easystand. I’m going to schedule appointments with physical therapy so I can use the Easystand in the physical therapy department and that way the physical therapists can corroborate my claims about the Easystand’s health benefits.
    Last edited by wheeler; 09-25-2018 at 03:20 PM.

I'm curious if Kaiser Medicare approved your standing frame yet.