Thread: Can the dump be adjusted in an F3 permobil?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Can the dump be adjusted in an F3 permobil?

A year ago I received a new wheelchair and since then my knees have been about an inch below my waist and I'm constantly sliding forward which puts tremendous stress on my spine which causes great pain where I have compressed vertebrae at the L3 L4. Do any of you know if the dump can be adjusted or what changes I might ask that have looked into?
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

Quote Originally Posted by GoTWHeeLs View Post
    A year ago I received a new wheelchair and since then my knees have been about an inch below my waist and I'm constantly sliding forward which puts tremendous stress on my spine which causes great pain where I have compressed vertebrae at the L3 L4. Do any of you know if the dump can be adjusted or what changes I might ask that have looked into?
    There is no dump adjustment on my m300. To compensate for that, I tilt the seat back.

As you describe the position of your knees they are way too high. Are you knees real floppy? Can you have someone adjust the footrests to lower your legs and flatten out your lap?

Another thought is trying another type of cushion, like the Roho Contour Select which has has some shorter cells, effectively giving you some dump.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by gjnl; 12-09-2017 at 01:56 PM.

I've forgotten dump when getting new chairs and DME says either slight tilt. I don't know if they will still do this but in past DME would add like shims or sspacers between solid seatpan and frame to make some dump. But, that worked before the current seating rail systems, so don't know if that is possible now.
    My last new chair, AmySystem the DME said to just keep in slight tilt position.
    I knda wonder if this could damage or cause alot stress on the tilt actulators/equipment?

You can always make a foam wedge and place it under the front end of your cushion. You'd have to adjust your foot rests up to compensate for the taller front end.

Can you tilt a bit and re-adjust the backrest to the position you like? You lower breaks are prone to a lot of pain; as you well know. Next chair, I suggest you find a new dme guy. He should know what to take into account for your limitation.

Considering you're only tilting back a slight amount, it shouldn't have a major adverse affect on yout chair; especially if you compensate by bringing the back angle forward

Quote Originally Posted by GoTWHeeLs View Post
    Does your chair have active reach and maybe its active and you dont know it?

I would just reach out to your DME and make sure its adjusted so you are more comfortable.

That's one of the things I love about the F series its adjustable on the fly as I need so I can have that forward lean when needed.

Keep us posted on the outcome.

It only takes a small amount of tilt to achieve the seat dump you are looking for.

Any adjustment for dump usually requires adjusting the front wheels so they are 90o to the ground. If they aren't 90o, you'll get a lot of drag.

In my C300 they were able to recess the pan between the two side rails such that even before I tilted back the chair I had almost an inch of dump so that the rear seat to floor height was about 17 inches. In my new F3 this is not possible, and the advertised 17.5 inch seat to floor height is really closer to 18, putting it almost an inch higher than the C300. In my C300 I already had limited visibility driving in my Honda Odyssey. In the F3 it is worse, not to mention having to tilt back even more just to clear the doorframe to get in.

They don't tell you when you get a power chair that in order to re-create the same dump angle you are going to have to tilt the chair, which raises the knees and makes it even more difficult to get under tables, sinks, counters, etc.. For me, a quad, eating with zero tilt is extremely unpleasant because I feel like I'm falling forward into the table and requiring effort with my free hand just to stay upright. Yes, one can find, but that puts one further away from one's food, keyboard, faucet, steering wheel, etc..

Unfortunately, this is a lousy fact of life for power chair users. Greatly enhanced point to point mobility and life-saving pressure relief technology (for those with tilt, recline), but in my opinion, dramatically decreased functionality, from desk work to driving to eating out, etc.. It really is, and was, a trade-off.

I have used a foam wedge between the seat pan and underside of my cushion, works great
    C5 as of 6-13- 2010

I'm going to try the foam wedge but worry about the knees getting in the way of the steering wheel and table like mentioned above. I must try something, it's ridiculous. I'm in real estate school and feel funny tilted in space while reading. I can already tell I need to work on my posture after sitting in the Tilt space for so many years. All update everyone one side try the wedge
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace