Thread: buying a chair online w/o a DME

buying a chair online w/o a DME

About me:

I'm 41 and have spastic cerebral palsy (I like this forum better than the CP ones) I have some use of my arms and pushed a manual sportschair for 20 years or so (slowly but I got where I needed to go) I went to a powerchair in 1999 or so and power assist was not widely available to me. I still needed a manual chair from time to time for transportation and recreation. I've had the same 13'' Eagle sportschair since I was 19 and well, my butt just isnt 19 anymore. I've gained some weight and I am experiencing declines in my flexibility and general fitness level. I have a brand new powerchair so there is no way my insurance is gonna pay for a new chair. I decided I want a manual chair with power assist so badly that I took out a bank loan. I'll probably order the chair from Spinlife unless I decide to go with Box or something. Here's the thing, I am petrified of screwing up the measurements. When I ordered my Eagle I went down there to the factory to get measured.
    I am in between sizes and short stature. I know 13" wide is too small I just went from 14 to 16" in my powerchair and I hate hate hate it. Way too roomy, I'm falling over to the left and they are gonna have to redo my seating system. I think I am about 15 "wide but a 2 inch change to frame width is scary. I'm also scared of messing up the center of gravity measurement my sportschair was tippy and I don't have balance for wheelies. I actually added a 2 lb weight to the front of my chair and I don't want to do that again.

Any tips on getting a good COG setting? Any tips or videos or books on taking the other measurements properly?
    Has anybody ever screwed up ordering a chair from Spinlife? How did you deal?

How do I do this right? This is freakier than buying a car!

Thanks for any advice.

Erik

Speak with John at Bike-on.com. He's a member here and very knowledgable re chairs and power assists. If he doesn't know, he'll find out. I'm sure he'll respond to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Speak with John at Bike-on.com. He's a member here and very knowledgable re chairs and power assists. If he doesn't know, he'll find out. I'm sure he'll respond to this thread.
    I'm happy to help shoot me an email and we can setup a time to go over everything.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

First of all get a chair that is adjustable. And since width is your first concern I would very seriously consider an ICON. ICONs are width adjustable. And we've learned they are quite strong since that is the chair one of our members is using a freewheel on on his adventures in Canada.
    Cushions are difficult to choose too. I've tried 4 or more types. So save some to switch out if you have to later.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I recommend purchasing from a dme owner that's in a wheelchair like john from Bike on. Most customers will find out purchasing from some one who's in a chair you will receive a great fitting chair.

You might also try Stephen at Bike-on. He's a para with a lot of experience and connections. My chair turned out perfectly.
    Last edited by gps; 12-14-2017 at 05:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nmireles View Post
    I recommend purchasing from a dme owner that's in a wheelchair like john from Bike on. Most customers will find out purchasing from some one who's in a chair you will receive a great fitting chair.
    thx for the endorsement, howeve I'm not the owner just Scotts loyal sales rep, but I've been rolling for 30 yrs
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Thanks for your input everyone! I think John from Bike-On is gonna help me out at least with the power assist bit. Im falling for Box wheelchairs at the moment...