Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How often do you really relieve pressure?

I'm curious why nobody makes a (super expensive) cushion that slowly shifts weight for the user like many of the beds out there.
    T3-T7 complete since Sept 2015

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    I'm curious why nobody makes a (super expensive) cushion that slowly shifts weight for the user like many of the beds out there.
    Doesnt Vicar make an alternating air cushion that shifts weight around?
    "Live your life in such a way that the fear of death can never enter your heart." -Tecumseh.

A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

There are several powered wheelchair cushions out there that claim they provide sufficient weight shifts alone, but I have seen no independent studies supporting such claims, and when we evaluated several of them where I worked, we found them insufficient for this. In addition, they require a power source so are really only usable for power chair users.

Even low air loss mattresses and so called 'alternating pressure' bed pads are not sufficient to replace turning.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I don't do actual pressure reliefs. I have pretty good sensation all over and I am always wiggling around just to keep the blood flowing and to keep my spasms in check. I just switched to a Roho Quatro from a Vicair Adjuster. Man is this thing comfortable!! I open the switch and move the air around half way through out the day. Haven't had sciatic nerve problems since I started using it about a month ago.
    "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."

Would be good if power chairs had a "work" or "TV" mode that slowly tilted side to side while also moving your legs for range of motion.
    T3-T7 complete since Sept 2015

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    There are basically 4 different weight shift methods that are effective in reducing pressure over the ischiums when sitting:

• Push ups: pushing up from arm rests, wheels, or push rims. This is the most effective, but also the hardest on your shoulders, and difficult to do without triceps for those with higher injuries.
    • Lean forwards: most effective if you get your chest all the way down onto your thighs. Have some one check for your individual anatomy by feeling for your ischial bones while you are doing this. Be careful to have your casters turned forward when doing this in a manual chair, as you can flip your chair forward if not careful.
    • Side to side leans: again, have someone check your technique by feeling to be sure you are clearing the ischium on each side in turn.
    • Tilt: This method is usually reserved for those using a power chair which has a tilt-in-space seating system. Recline does not help relieve pressure. Your body should be tilted as close to 45 degrees for this to be effective, but don't stay in this position for long periods, as it works by shifting the pressure from your ischiums onto your sacrum, and using too much can result in sacral pressure injury.

No cushion provides enough pressure reduction to replace doing weight shifts. Many people claim to get away without doing weight shifts when they are young or newly injured, but in my experience, failing to do so often eventually catches up with you, and may result in significant pressure injury down the road.

(KLD)
    I'm on my 5th chair, the first with recline (and tilt...all others had tilt only). I don't like to use the recline function, as I find it causes me to slide down in my chair. I do use it when I am voiding, as my body seems to strain less the more I recline. With all that said, why wouldn't recline relieve pressure? I would imagine the change n position causes a change in pressure, no?

Recline does reduce ischial pressure some, but at the risk of adding shearing injury to the ischium, sacrum and coccyx. Tilt is much better for this, as there is minimal shearing.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Never.... Maybe I should

Quote Originally Posted by Ajstevens View Post
    Never.... Maybe I should
    Develop the habit now. As you age, failure to do weight shifts can significantly increase your risks for pressure injuries.

(KLD)