Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How often do you really relieve pressure?

Like many people here pain and discomfort makes me shift around a fair bit, also doing a pressure relief, especially hooking my legs under a table to stretch out my spine makes the pain and spasms a little less.

It seems that back pain just might be saving our asses.

T7/8 complete Para 26 years post and never. I cannot remember how long after rehab that one day I realized that I had gotten busy and not done a pressure relief all day. I got in bed and checked out my skin and to my shock not even a red spot anywhere. So I just thought I would keep a close check on my skin and see how it went. I am very active and handcycle as a means of transportation and exercise and I think that makes a difference and have used a ROHO cushion. Not suggesting that anyone not do them I am just saying how it has worked out for me.

Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    T7/8 complete Para 26 years post and never. I cannot remember how long after rehab that one day I realized that I had gotten busy and not done a pressure relief all day. I got in bed and checked out my skin and to my shock not even a red spot anywhere. So I just thought I would keep a close check on my skin and see how it went. I am very active and handcycle as a means of transportation and exercise and I think that makes a difference and have used a ROHO cushion. Not suggesting that anyone not do them I am just saying how it has worked out for me.
    DJ, I am 40 years post and like you I never really did much pressure relief especially right after my injury. I had a couple of repair procedures early on and I went about 30 years without any skin problems. But about 10 years ago my ass meat was pretty thin and I began to have problems. I always wondered if I had done more pressure relief earlier if I could have avoided the 5 repair jobs I've had on my butt.....plus I can't tell you how much it sucks laying around waiting for your ass to heal while looking at the ceiling......AND it puts a lot of pressure on your relationship with your "significant other". I

So I encourage newbies and grizzled hard ass older folks with a SCI to get in the habit of relieving pressure even if you don't see any benefit. Thanks

(QUOTE SMOKEY )So I encourage newbies and grizzled hard ass older folks with a SCI to get in the habit of relieving pressure even if you don't see any benefit. Thanks[/QUOTE]

Well said Smokey

Well, the first page of this thread is just people constantly pressure relieving so much more than I do right now. I pressure relieve for 10 or 15 minutes every three or four hours while in my power wheelchair. Sometimes when I’m out in public or simply forget, I can go maybe six or seven hours without tilting. I can’t really fidget around much either.

I sit on a ROHO so I don’t know if that makes a difference but so far no problems at all, not even redness.

During the day it's kind of when I think of it...not often enough. At night I change position at cath intervals (4.5 hours).
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

terrified of a sore every 15 to 20 minutes I raise uo a few second or minutes when I am driving I will pull over after about 30 minutes I sleep on my side at night or prone and 1hr would love to sleep on tummy but just can/t

I'm inconsistent. I need all the reminders I can get. This thread is a reminder.
    Leaning forward with my forearms on my thighs does seem to work. I got that info from this thread. Thanks! I also don't like lifting my body up with my arms. It hurts my wrists etc.
    Rich

There are basically 4 different weight shift methods that are effective in reducing pressure over the ischiums when sitting:

• Push ups: pushing up from arm rests, wheels, or push rims. This is the most effective, but also the hardest on your shoulders, and difficult to do without triceps for those with higher injuries.
    • Lean forwards: most effective if you get your chest all the way down onto your thighs. Have some one check for your individual anatomy by feeling for your ischial bones while you are doing this. Be careful to have your casters turned forward when doing this in a manual chair, as you can flip your chair forward if not careful.
    • Side to side leans: again, have someone check your technique by feeling to be sure you are clearing the ischium on each side in turn.
    • Tilt: This method is usually reserved for those using a power chair which has a tilt-in-space seating system. Recline does not help relieve pressure. Your body should be tilted as close to 45 degrees for this to be effective, but don't stay in this position for long periods, as it works by shifting the pressure from your ischiums onto your sacrum, and using too much can result in sacral pressure injury.

No cushion provides enough pressure reduction to replace doing weight shifts. Many people claim to get away without doing weight shifts when they are young or newly injured, but in my experience, failing to do so often eventually catches up with you, and may result in significant pressure injury down the road.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Not enough, evidently…
    "Some days you eat the bear, some days the bear eats you?"