Thread: Irrigation or installation

Irrigation or installation

Which is safer irrigation or installation. I am more concerned with keeping the foley catheter from becoming clogged. I have done both. When I first starred using the I.D. catheter we would install 30cc of saline solution 5 times. By the 5th time the saline would run clear.
    I am currently at a nursing home were they flush the catheter daily. It has not clogged in the six month I've been here. One other thing. I always used a 5cc balloon. They use a 30cc here and I wonder if that is what could be causing miner forehead sweating when I'm prone and voiding.

Also is there anyway to know which size will be better? 30 or 5. I started with the 5cc filled to 10cc but it was falling out. I do believe it was falling out from being clogged. We stopped the installation and that's when the clogging started. BTW UTI's are not an issue.I consider myself very fortunate.
    Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
    Bob Seger

Bladder irrigation is washing the bladder (and the catheter tubing) out to remove blood clots, mucus and sediment that may clog the catheter.

Bladder instillation (not installation) is introducing a medication into the bladder, i.e., gentamicin, Microcyn, or other medicinal substance to treat or help prevent bladder infection. Usually the substance is retained in the bladder for a period of time or until it washes out with urine.

So the technique irrigation or instillation depends on the purpose of doing the procedure.

Here is a chart for foley balloon inflation. The chart is from a Bard pamphlet.

Many people under inflate the balloon and find it does relieve discomfort and possible autonomic symptoms. 35cc of liquid in the balloon seems like it would make the balloon very large in a bladder that may be very small for long term indwelling catheter use.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I have to have irrigation done daily, because I have a problem with sediment.

I have used Foleys with 5 cc. balloons since I started using indwelling catheters at the beginning of 2009.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Instillation is the gentle flowing of a solution into the catheter and bladder through an irrigation syringe with a medicated solution designed to bathe the bladder and inside of the catheter with the medicated solution. This is done with different solutions, such as Renacidin, amphotericin B, and Microcyn. The solution is usually kept in the bladder by clamping the catheter for 10-20 minutes (if you can tolerate this). It can also be done at the end of intermittent catheterization and the catheter then removed without draining the fluid, as is sometimes done with Ditropan solution, gentamycin, or Microcyn.

Irrigation is a forceful pushing of sterile fluid (usually normal saline or NaCl 0.9%, sometimes water) into and out of the catheter using an irrigation syringe. Its purpose is to remedy any blockage of the catheter with blood clots or encrustations. It has no benefit for prevention or treatment of UTIs, and routine use is not recommended as it actually can increase your risks for UTI.

The smaller the balloon you can use on your catheter and not have it fall out, the better. The larger the balloon, the more irritating to your bladder. Increasing balloon size is not the correct way to manage leakage, and is usually ineffective as the larger balloon often just increases bladder spasm (which is the cause of leakage).

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.