Thread: I just bought a (used) iBot 4000

I just bought a (used) iBot 4000

This thing is pretty crazy. I bought it mainly for getting to my home's lower level as it was way cheaper than an elevator. I can get there via my stairs with assistance (a pretty freaky process if you've not seen it) or by 4WD through my backyard. That means I can finally move all my home PT/exercise stuff out of my living room.

Anyone else use an iBot and want to give me some pointers or warnings?

It's biggest flaw is that you cannot recline or straighten your legs so there's no repositioning capability. Well, that and the fact that there's no company to support these anymore.
    T3-T7 complete since Sept 2015

Cool deal! How's the battery situation? Does it work with typical residential stairs (when I tested it out back in the day it seemed more suited for institutional sized stairs)? Definitely a cool device that was priced out of the market and marketed by morons, lol.

Stair climbing being freaky...haha, you should see me and my buddy going up 3 flights in a building to inspect stuff. I'm sure my ass doesn't like that

Pictures and video of the ibot or it didn't happen!

How do you do stairs?
    My stairs are very wide. The halfway landing is a bit tight though.
    Name:  2193C3B4-2D3E-4BD7-B80D-B565AFD87825.jpeg
Views: 123
Size:  101.9 KB

Blog Entries
    Aways thought those things were cool. There was one for sale (supposedly working fine) for $1,700 on eBay not too long ago. Almost bought it!

As effective as it is at what it does, and only it does, I never could get my head around a $25,000 power chair for paras only.

Super cool though. For cheap even better.
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Have you had any maintenance/running issues with it?

Rumours were .. Toyota were going to bring it back??? wonder how that ended up ?

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...-kamen-revival

So there's a guy in Houston who buys, fixes up, sells and supports iBots. He actually reverse engineered their set-up software and their joystick controller. He even had replacement membrane keyboards made for the joystick unit. He can fix just about anything on an iBot. He says the biggest issue is tires. iBots have 12" tires where the standard is 12.5". You can get 12.5" tires to fit, but finding tough, wheelchair-type tires isn't easy and bicycle tires wear out fast. He's got a small store of the original though.

The batteries are NiCads and there's a guy in Washington that repacks the batteries with new Panasonic cells for about a grand.

The Toyota venture seems to be dragging. There's literally no updates to be found anywhere, but I've heard through this Houston guy that they are hoping to have is on the market in 2-3 years. I hope in that amount of time they do a few things like:
    - add repositioning (recline, flat, stand) in non-balance modes
    - upgrade to lithium-ion batteries (no brainer)
    - improve the stair function - right now it requires decent upper body strength and/or an assistant.

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    So there's a guy in Houston who buys, fixes up, sells and supports iBots. He actually reverse engineered their set-up software and their joystick controller. He even had replacement membrane keyboards made for the joystick unit. He can fix just about anything on an iBot. He says the biggest issue is tires. iBots have 12" tires where the standard is 12.5". You can get 12.5" tires to fit, but finding tough, wheelchair-type tires isn't easy and bicycle tires wear out fast. He's got a small store of the original though.

The batteries are NiCads and there's a guy in Washington that repacks the batteries with new Panasonic cells for about a grand.

The Toyota venture seems to be dragging. There's literally no updates to be found anywhere, but I've heard through this Houston guy that they are hoping to have is on the market in 2-3 years. I hope in that amount of time they do a few things like:
    - add repositioning (recline, flat, stand) in non-balance modes
    - upgrade to lithium-ion batteries (no brainer)
    - improve the stair function - right now it requires decent upper body strength and/or an assistant.

Very cool and congrats! I was invited to do a test ride when iBot came out and the concept was cool but the ride to get in to balance was crazy jerky process.

It was nice to see it develop over the years and people that bought them loved them.

Biggest issue I saw was transporting it if I remember it was to tall to fit in a standard van and I dont remember it supporting tie downs?

Would love to hear how it works for you.

Have you checked with these guys on tires?

http://enableyourlife.com/

Thanks for the tire link. I'll check it out.
    I don't currently have an easy way to transport it as I use a speedy lift for my manual. The guy who supports it, however, managed to load it into my van (side door) easily on his own. The seatback folds forward and flat, at least on the 4000 series. Might have been different on the 3000.