Thread: Cons and Pros of TDX SP

Cons and Pros of TDX SP

Hi,

I am in the market for a new chair. I am wondering if anybody on this forum can share their own experience with TDX SP?

Thanks in advance

Canucks

I got one 10 years ago after 17 years of a Ranger RWD type. I regretted it immediately. Getting used to a CWD was incredibly tedious. Also my bedside table would not slide under through the side due to the center wheel. (an irritating adjustment) Another thing was that it did not handle as well, off road.

Have you driven a CWD chair before?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    I got one 10 years ago after 17 years of a Ranger RWD type. I regretted it immediately. Getting used to a CWD was incredibly tedious. Also my bedside table would not slide under through the side due to the center wheel. (an irritating adjustment) Another thing was that it did not handle as well, off road.

Have you driven a CWD chair before?
    My current chair is CWD (Quickie Full Freestyle). I am planning to add leg til and back til to the next chair. I am also considering elevation or standing.

People say I should consider Permobile but I research online most people love it, loves it. People hate it, hates it. ( I am still open to Permobile tho)

I am also considering Frontier.

I current consider list are Permobile, Frontier and TDX.

I am also don't mind to try different types of wheel drive for my next chair.

My current chair is my first powerchair so it is hard for me decide which chair to buy for my next.

Sorry for the rant.

I've had two TDX-SP chairs. In sum it isn't a bad chair, but now that I have a Permobil, there is no comparison between the two. The Permobil is far superior (mine is previous generation M300 with tilt, recline and elevation), i.e., ride, design, attention to small details, and company support.

The TDX-SP is made by Invacare and they have had production issues for years as a result of FDA investigations, so wait times for the chair to be delivered can be very long and getting parts can be difficult. The durable medical equipment supplier with whom I worked to get my Permobil won't order them at this time.

You are on the right track. Work with your durable medical equipment supplier to try many makes and models.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    I've had two TDX-SP chairs. In sum it isn't a bad chair, but now that I have a Permobil, there is no comparison between the two. The Permobil is far superior (mine is previous generation M300 with tilt, recline and elevation), i.e., ride, design, attention to small details, and company support.

The TDX-SP is made by Invacare and they have had production issues for years as a result of FDA investigations, so wait times for the chair to be delivered can be very long and getting parts can be difficult. The durable medical equipment supplier with whom I worked to get my Permobil won't order them at this time.

You are on the right track. Work with your durable medical equipment supplier to try many makes and models.
    Hey gjnl,

Based on my own experience with DME, they only "want me to try two chairs" more than that they get in patience with me same goes with OT/PT.

My question to you is how do I loan a chair to try it out for extended time from a DME successfully?

Before, I bought my current chair the DME only allow me to try the chair for five minutes same goes with my old manual chair.

I tried three other manual chairs before I bought my current but the DME and my healthcare professional were angry and frustrated with me. The end result was worth it though because my manual chair is light and the width is correct.

Thanks for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks View Post
    Hey gjnl,

Based on my own experience with DME, they only "want me to try two chairs" more than that they get in patience with me same goes with OT/PT.

My question to you is how do I loan a chair to try it out for extended time from a DME successfully?

Before, I bought my current chair the DME only allow me to try the chair for five minutes same goes with my old manual chair.

I tried three other manual chairs before I bought my current but the DME and my healthcare professional were angry and frustrated with me. The end result was worth it though because my manual chair is light and the width is correct.

Thanks for the reply
    Getting a chair for, say, over a weekend can be difficult. The chair just doesn't fit you. I am 6' 3' tall and there has never been a chair that I can sit in comfortably, footrests/hangers are never long enough, so I don't get a good trial anyway, but I at least get some idea. I couldn't sit in a demo chair for more than half an hour for fear of pressure from a bad fit. Some members have recounted that they have had a chair(s) over a weekend, but I think it helps if you can contact the chair manufacturer, ask to speak to the regional rep in your area and see what they can do for you about getting a demo to sample for more than 5 minutes.

As for the therapists and durable medical suppliers getting angry and impatient, I start the process out by telling them, I want to a least sit in a few chairs that I am considering after researching the chair. I usually end up telling them, I'm going to have to use this chair for 5 years or more and I want to make sure I can make the best choice possible, so be patient with me. I also usually say something like, I bet you don't buy the first car you look at when you go to a dealership.

I've found that durable medical equipment suppliers usually go for the chair that give them the most GP (Gross Profit) and/ or manufacturer spiffs like freebies and gifts. Tell these folks to be patient, check their irritability at the door and you'll make a decision in good time.