Thread: Emergency Caregiving options?

Emergency Caregiving options?

I was just wondering how everybody handles caregivers that don?t show up or cancel on short notice. I currently live with my mom so it?s not that big of an issue for me but recently my evening caregiver requested a weeklong vacation with two or three days of notice and my morning caregiver has called in sick for two days in a row.

I have requested that they notify me at least two weeks in advance so I can make arrangements but they just don?t seem to do it. How do you handle these things? I?m curious because in the future I will be moving out on my own.

I have considered options like an agency for CNAs but i?m not sure how to make connections with caregivers near me for emergencies. An example would be just someone not showing up or even my current caregiver being injured on the job. Do you have a list of people that you just call for short notice help? How much do you pay them? How did you get to know these people?

I us a goverment funded agency and they have three caregivers(PSW's) trained with all my routines (bathing . urilogicals . bowel etc. ) im a c4/5 quad so if and when one cant show another is sent. I have never been left in the lurch in 18yrs at worst a little late with bad weather etc

Going through an agency is probably the best way to avoid this. The other option is to "hire" one or two caregivers who would consider short notice. It is a problem that there is no simple answer to.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by air ohs View Post
    I us a goverment funded agency and they have three caregivers(PSW's) trained with all my routines (bathing . urilogicals . bowel etc. ) im a c4/5 quad so if and when one cant show another is sent. I have never been left in the lurch in 18yrs at worst a little late with bad weather etc
    Could you tell me what the agency is?

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Going through an agency is probably the best way to avoid this. The other option is to "hire" one or two caregivers who would consider short notice. It is a problem that there is no simple answer to.

ckf
    Do you have any examples of these short notice caregivers? Like how they were trained, connected, paid etc. I was just hoping to know a kind of baseline.

Quote Originally Posted by Sythellri View Post
    Could you tell me what the agency is?

Do you have any examples of these short notice caregivers? Like how they were trained, connected, paid etc. I was just hoping to know a kind of baseline.
    Sorry my freind im up here in the great white north (Canada ) so the agency up here would be no good to you.

One might try contacting the various nursing agencies in your area and see what they require as far as training and the number of hours that you need to use them. Also, you might try nursing schools or church organization. You would need to educate these groups but it is worth a shot.
    ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I use an agency almost exclusively, but I have a couple of folks who used to work here (through the agency) but have now progressed in their schooling to not being able to be on the schedule. All of them volunteered to be “on call” in case something goes awry and I can’t get hold of the agency or I need something urgently and off schedule. The woman who owns the agency and I met about it bc everyone signs many non-competes and she was really helpful and reasonable, she even runs the payroll without charging me if it’s necessary. Having layers of backup hasn’t been necessary (only once have they not picked up when I called the on-call), but I feel much safer having it in place - I live on my own in a fairly rural area.

The agency I use won’t do you any good - it’s strictly local, and I’m in Colorado. They got trained while working here, through the agency. As far as scheduling goes, we make a “on call for crisis call” calendar every semester and the oncall number routes to whoever’s phone based on the schedule. I pay $10 an hour + mileage while folks are on their way and going home or erranding around and $20/hour while people are here. (Agency rates are much higher). Also we have dinner once a month (for which no-one is paid), I cook and they clean up. For me, it’s close to an ideal setup, and I feel very fortunate.