Thread: Phantom pain experiences

Phantom pain experiences

How many people experience phantom pain? I have been in the chair for 23 years. As long as I can remember every couple days I get a sharp pain above my right knee. It feels like I am getting stabbed with a pencil. Just one quick stab. It hits whenever it wants to. No pattern. Lately I have been experiencing other pains that I shouldn't be able to feel. What are other people's experiences with this great perk of being a para?
    "Some days you eat the bear, some days the bear eats you?"

Phantom pain is a type of neuropathic pain that is limited to amputees. People with SCI usually have central neuropathic pain (caused by a lesion in the spinal cord or brain). Over 60% of people with SCI have significant central neuropathic pain (severe enough to interfere with daily activities). A significant number of people with SCI report that their neuropathic pain gets worse with aging.

I am moving this to the Pain forum, where you will get more appropriate responses to how people with SCI manage their pain.

The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.