Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DNR tattoo

My ex wife was a social worker and begged me to get a DNR at age 36 and I'm a c7 complete. We're divorced now and I don't have a DNR at age 48.

Quote Originally Posted by Patton57 View Post
    My ex wife was a social worker and begged me to get a DNR at age 36 and I'm a c7 complete. We're divorced now and I don't have a DNR at age 48.
    I'm not exactly sure what your point is. Are you just morally/ethically opposed to the Do Not Resuscitate idea? Do you have an Advance Directive with a power of attorney appointment? Most hospitals request an Advance Directive when you enter a hospital for treatment.These documents are just part of good estate planning.

Again, a DNR request is only one part of an advance directive. You can have an advance directive that says you want everything possible done just as well as what you don't want done. Everyone should have one.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    I'm not exactly sure what your point is. Are you just morally/ethically opposed to the Do Not Resuscitate idea? Do you have an Advance Directive with a power of attorney appointment? Most hospitals request an Advance Directive when you enter a hospital for treatment.These documents are just part of good estate planning.
    My ex-wife demanded I have a DNR. I said I wanted to be brought back at least under age 60. She said no, you don't.

She wanted me gone.

My point is that the DNR decision was mine not my ex-wife's decision. I don't care if she was Elisabeth Kubler-Ross it wasn't her place to specify my DNR criteria (which excluded any form of recuscitation). She was saying I wasn't worth bringing back folks. Good grief!

My point is that the DNR decision was mine not my ex-wife's decision. I don't care if she was Elisabeth Kubler-Ross it wasn't her place to specify my DNR criteria (which excluded any form of recuscitation). She was sa wifying I wasn't worth bringing back folks. Good grief!
    Okay the wife is gone, been out of the picture for some time. Let that go. You need to specify your own needs, forget what you think the motivations of your wife were. Now what do you need to do for yourself is to specify your own desires? You need to stop thinking of what you think were your x-wife's motivations and start to think for yourself and what will work for you. Do you have trusted people in your life that will carry out your wishes and that you can depend upon. Full stop...look at what is best for you and clear your mind of the baggage from your X wife.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Again, a DNR request is only one part of an advance directive. You can have an advance directive that says you want everything possible done just as well as what you don't want done. Everyone should have one.

(KLD)
    Are you saying that without an advance directive, medical staff have no guidance or obligation to provide certain care?
    Edit to add: Not challenging you, I'd seriously like to know.
    Last edited by quadvet; 12-04-2017 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by quadvet View Post
    Are you saying that without an advance directive, medical staff have no guidance or obligation to provide certain care?
    Edit to add: Not challenging you, I'd seriously like to know.
    In the emergency room (ED), patients are triaged to determine priority of care. This is usually done by an ED RN or physician. Like it or not, personal values and beliefs can cloud these decisions. A study done of ED personnel in the 1990s showed that 80% believed that if they themselves experienced a SCI, that nothing should be done and they would want to be let die. I believe that this can flavor the decisions to go all out (or not) for efforts to provide emergency care to those with SCI. This can also occur with other disabilities, or being elderly.

Health care personnel often are known to respond to a case of cardiopulmonary arrest for those who they don't think should be revived with a "slow code" (where they don't respond quickly or with all possible interventions). See the story I posted above (post #6), as an example for how health care provider personal beliefs can interfere with all efforts being made.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

My advance directive and DNR were done with my GP, part of it states that I am not to be taken to ER or hospital under any circumstances. We spent a lot of time discussing the wording and implication knowing that if I was conscious I could override eg broken leg/arm however in a life threatening situation I can stick with it only requesting pain relief. GP was very helpful and my medical notes show the discussion. I always have both with me in the emergency trache bag my support workers carry, the care agency go through them both with new starters.

The last time I went to emerge, I requested DNR and the clerk disagreed with me. Pffft!

What's a good example of specifics KLD?
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12