Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ti lite tr

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    How much TiLite adds or doesn't add to a chair seems like it has been a moving target through the years and it seems I recall that it can depend on chair design as well. To be safe, if you know exactly what you want, you can specify on your order that you want the bend to start at an exact point. It would seem that if one selects say, 1.5" that is what you would get, but you are not guaranteed; I was a stickler on this with my current chair and had a second CAD drawn and I made clear exactly where I wanted the bend to start after the seat.

A single-amp buddy of mine did the same thing, insisted on his design. He ended up with a rolling endo machine! Fell flat on his face so many times! He eventually pulled the elastomers out of his Froglets and filled the space with washers! Still flipped all the time. His nickname on the ball team ?Endoman?.

FYI They'll add length for Froglegs, also, iirc.

Seems like they have a stability target that they aim for regardless of the spec. If the spec works, great, but it really does seem as though they will tweak it for stability (safety).
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    A single-amp buddy of mine did the same thing, insisted on his design. He ended up with a rolling endo machine!
    I'm going through the process right now of specifying where the front angle starts (frame depth). The endo problem your friend had isn't due to a short frame depth. It's due to the user occupied depth being too narrow vs the height of the chair. What you want is a wide base and a short height for stability. Having said that, decreasing the frame depth also results in a decreased user occupied depth unless you decrease the angle of the front bend. As long as you have a stable base, the front bend can be decreased to whatever you desire. I took your advice Oddity and used a conservative user occupied depth as the starting point and then worked back from there. TiLite agrees with all of this.
    Last edited by August West; 12-06-2017 at 05:36 PM.

I just went through the same process with Top End. After the preliminary cad was drawn I made some revisions and spoke with the draftsmen who I made the changes with and he e-mail the results
    right after he made the changes. I requested the extra frame depth and the OPL. Now I can check the chair measurements against the cad before I accept it. I'll attach the cad drawing for reference.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    I'm going through the process right now of specifying where the front angle starts (frame depth). The endo problem your friend had isn't due to a short frame depth. It's due to the user occupied depth being too narrow vs the height of the chair. What you want is a wide base and a short height for stability. Having said that, decreasing the frame depth also results in a decreased user occupied depth unless you decrease the angle of the front bend. As long as you have a stable base, the front bend can be decreased to whatever you desire. I took your advice Oddity and used a conservative user occupied depth as the starting point and then worked back from there. TiLite agrees with all of this.

Awesome! Hope the new chair works out. Such a nerve wracking process at times.

Absolutely, this chair was a disaster from the start. No dump, 19?hx17?wx17?d, 90deg front end with Froglegs. IIRC, he said they wanted to add 2? to the frame before the bend and he insisted they not. It was a TR, in the previous version of the box frame.
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

No dump, 19"hx17"x17"d, 90deg front end...
    He wanted to be tall and compact. That works well for access but not so well for mobility.

When I got my chair, Ti added an extra 1 inch to length in the CAD, and when I asked why and said I did not want the extra length, they said no, they would not change it back. This was 5 or 6 years ago, at least.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

TiLite builds their chairs with a 90 degree front bend angle unless you specify otherwise. With a 90 degree bend, the user occupied depth (distance from back rest to foot plate) and seat tube length increase/decrease at a 1:1 ratio. Hence if you need to increase the user occupied depth by 1" for stability that results in the seat tube length increasing by 1".

It doesn't have to be this way. They can add the extra 1" to the user occupied depth without adding it to the seat tubes simply by decreasing the front bend angle less than 90 degrees. They won't volunteer this information. You have to make the request. They probably prefer 90 degree bends because they are cookie cutter vs some arbitrary value. Hence, they probably want to promote 90 degree bends. But that should't be our problem.

To specify the front angle bend that increases the user occupied depth by X while leaving the seat tube depth unchanged, use this formula:

front angle bend = tan-1 (Y/X) where Y is the front height.

For example, if the front height is 17" and they want to add 1" to the user occupied depth for stability but you don't want any extra length added to the seat tubing, then specify a front bend angle of tan-1(17) = 86.6 degrees.
    Last edited by August West; 12-07-2017 at 01:13 AM.

FYI They'll add length for Froglegs, also, iirc.
    I think this is one of those "sometimes" situations. I am on my third TR and all have had suspension forks, the first two FL and my current Out-front. The first two Ti made the front end length exactly as I spec'd them on the order form, one was +1" and the other 0.75", and they were made exactly that way and I did not qualify to them they must be that way. On my current, third TR, when looking at the CAD I was concerned about the numbers, they didn't seem to add up compared to my previous TR CAD. (I know they leave wiggle room, but I wasn't willing to have wiggle room.) Numerous emails were swapped until it was clear I wanted exactly +1", no more, no less, and that is what I did get.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    I think this is one of those "sometimes" situations. I am on my third TR and all have had suspension forks, the first two FL and my current Out-front. The first two Ti made the front end length exactly as I spec'd them on the order form, one was +1" and the other 0.75", and they were made exactly that way and I did not qualify to them they must be that way. On my current, third TR, when looking at the CAD I was concerned about the numbers, they didn't seem to add up compared to my previous TR CAD. (I know they leave wiggle room, but I wasn't willing to have wiggle room.) Numerous emails were swapped until it was clear I wanted exactly +1", no more, no less, and that is what I did get.
    Ahhh, cool. I reckon they didn?t need to add anything since you had already spec?d The extra inch?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Junkyarddog View Post
    I just went through the same process with Top End. After the preliminary cad was drawn I made some revisions and spoke with the draftsmen who I made the changes with and he e-mail the results
    right after he made the changes. I requested the extra frame depth and the OPL. Now I can check the chair measurements against the cad before I accept it. I'll attach the cad drawing for reference.

I didn?t realize Top End provided this level of customer service. Good to know. They should advertise that fact!!