Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: foley catheter

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
    Hi Steve. Does your urine smell like ammonia? I take L-Ornithine for that. I've sent you a private message.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19083482
    Yes like ammonia

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Not sure I get this one (french canadian here lol) . Can you explain it with differents words?
    Thx
    No. Routine irrigation is not a good idea.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I read that...Would it be good to try?

Apple cider vinegar

You can drink raw unprocessed apple cider vinegar (ACV) to help get rid of the ammonia-like smell from urine. Apple cider vinegar is a great home remedy to get rid of kidney stones naturally and help prevent urinary tract infections. In fact, research has shown that human kidney stones dissolve in acetic acid – the main component of apple cider vinegar.14

How to use:

To use apple cider vinegar to treat urinary problems that are causing an ammonia smell in your urine, this is what you should do:

Mix 1 to 2 tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar in a glass of water.
    Drink frequently throughout the day to help clear up any urinary infection and dissolve stones that are causing discomfort.
    Baking soda and water

Drinking baking soda and water can help to clear any urinary tract infection that is causing urine to emit an ammonia odor. Baking soda is also an effective natural treatment for getting rid of kidney stones.

The journal Reviews in Urology found that baking soda can help to reduce uric acid and dissolve urinary stones. The research found that taking 1 to 2 teaspoons of baking soda in water 3 to 4 times a day was an effective remedy for urinary stones.15

Baking soda can also help to relieve the symptoms of a urinary tract infection and get rid of nitrates in urine.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    No. Routine irrigation is not a good idea.

(KLD)
    Merci

Urine odor often is a result of certain foods...asparagus and garlic being most notorious.

Drinking apple cider vinegar probably won't hurt you (use a straw, as it can damage your teeth). I would not recommend including baking soda, as generally you will do better with an acid, not alkaline, urine, and it can cause problems with other electrolytes in your blood as well. Stones in people with SCI are generally not the same as those which develop in those who have a genetic tendency to stone development.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Not sure I get this one (french canadian here lol) . Can you explain it with differents words?
    Thx
    Steve, are you uncertain of the term irrigation?

It is recommended to irrigate a catheter to dislodge sediment that may clog the catheter and reduce or stop the flow of urine. Irrigation is done by using a quantity of sterile water or saline in a catheter tipped syringe, placing the tip into the funnel end of the catheter and depressing the plunger to pass the water through the catheter and then withdrawing the water, hopefully dislodging any sediment, mucus, debris that may be clogging the eyelets of the catheter

The threads I mentioned in post 15 above discuss using an electrolyzed water product that kills 99% of bacteria and fungi. I and others on this forum use Microcyn Wound and Skin Care or similar products as an instillation in our bladders to help prevent urinary tract infections. Instillations into the bladder are done very much like irrigation, but the fluid is retained for a period of time and withdrawn or left in the bladder to flow out with produced urine.

Thank you very much, I'll try apple cider vinegar

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Soap and water with a warm water rinse works well. I prefer to use Microcyn, HydroCleanse, TheracynAH, or MicrocynAH.

For more about these products, see:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...light=Microcyn

or do a search of Care Cure Community for more threads.
    Thank you, I'll read it

Texas USA, female ************** T9 incomplete
    L-Ornithine works to eliminate ammonia in a different way from baking soda.
    " In liver, L-ornithine plays a central role in the urea cycle which converts ammonia to urea [24]. L-ornithine administration has been known to enhance detoxification of ammonia in the liver [25]."
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4055948/
    Randomised controlled trial of the effects of L-ornithine on stress markers and sleep quality in healthy workers
    Female, T9 incomplete