Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: foley catheter

foley catheter

Hi,
    I use foley catheter, that I always change after 4 weeks. I often have urinal infection. I take cipro almost every 2 months. Anyone who has solution to help me with that problem?
    Thank you
    Steve

I never have symptome, other than my urine that has strong smell...
    Would it be good to irrigate to avoid UTI? I heard that...

You have a urethral or suprapubic indwelling catheter? Foley catheters can be used for both.

When you say you have a UTI every 2 months is this just a positive culture without symptoms or a true UTI with fever, chills, severe malaise, etc?? Bad odor alone is not a criteria for a UTI in some using a long-term dwelling catheter, and colonized urine like this should not be treated.

Is Cipro being prescribed based on a C&S that indicates it is the best antibiotic for the UTI?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I have urethal catheter...No symptome, only the odor. I always have Cipro here. I always took it since my accident in 91. I must admit that I took Cipro w/o test . My last test was 4 months ago and they gave me Cipro for 7 days. Since that odor is back 2 months ago, I took Cipro again. Any suggestions to solve it? Thx
    Last edited by Steve; 12-01-2017 at 12:10 AM.

Try changing your foley every weekend, like medicine and drink 5-6 liters of fluids per day. Some will differ with me about the amount of fluid to drink but I can tell you I don't remember the last time I had a uti.

Change your foley at the end of your shower when you know you are clean. Then wash yourself down.

Also clean urological appliances with Clorox every morning. Do not use a bed bag instead use a night bottle like Urocare 4100 which is easier to keep bacteria free with Clorox. Make sure your bathroom, roll-in-shower or shower room is also cleaned with Clorox. Wash your sink and toilet with Clorox. Change your bedding ever weekend and spray bed with a light mist of Clorox.

Make sure your foley changing environment is very clean.

I also have all my finger nails cut very short. There is no white nail exposed. A lot of bacteria lives under your nails next to the skin. My doctor was examining me and she noticed my very short cut nails. She asked me, "Why so short?" I told her and she replied, "Good idea!"

These are tips a urologist can't tell you because they just don't know first hand.

Ti
    Last edited by titanium4motion; 12-01-2017 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Add more information.
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

You should not be using Cipro like that! It's a good way to develop resistant strains of bacteria as your colonization, and if you actually do develop a UTI Ciprofloxacin will be useless. There is no evidence that changing your catheter more often will help either. Keep your penis skin clean, secure it so it doesn't slide in and out of the urethra, and maintain a closed system. Throw the Ciprofloxacin away! If you develop a true UTI, with fever, chills, bad catheter leakage, or severe malaise, get a urine C&S done, get a prescription for the right antibiotic, and take it for the recommended 10-14 days.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Thank you very much for your help.
    . Is it bad to take bath instead of shower?

Shower is better.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Hi,
    I use foley catheter, that I always change after 4 weeks. I often have urinal infection. I take cipro almost every 2 months. Anyone who has solution to help me with that problem?
    Thank you
    Steve
    Hi steve, why dont you intermittent cath? . it is the best as of now. even if you are a quad, you can use tools to do it.

This is how i do it, however i dont need tools as i have regained finger movements after tendon transfer . http://spinalinjury.info/intermitten...rization-male/
    Last edited by fahad283; 12-01-2017 at 11:17 AM.
    Quadriplegic c6 complete.

Bsc(HONS) Applied Physics / Msc Electronics from University of Karachi. Currently doing Mphil in AI/Robotics from IBA karachi.

Physics / Maths high school instructor. Part time Web developer/ blogger . Have keen interest in Astronomy / physics/ World politics / Economics.

Visit http://spinalinjury.info where people suffering from SCI share articles about post spinal cord injury life based on research and personal experiences

Quote Originally Posted by fahad283 View Post
    Hi steve, why dont you intermittent cath? . it is the best as of now. even if you are a quad, you can use tools to do it.
    If you will check Steve's profile, you will find that his injury level is listed as C4. There is no way someone with a complete C4 injury can cath himself, regardless of all the adaptive equipment you throw at him. In addition, having enough attendant care 24/7 to do this is difficult for most people, and not being able to cath yourself when having AD could be life threatening.

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 12-02-2017 at 01:04 PM.