Thread: first live event since injury

first live event since injury

Like the title says I am going to be attending my first really big live event this weekend since I got hurt. I used to attend concerts and races quite a bit but have not in the last 4 years and to be honest it sucks! I guess I just haven't went because at most of these things people trash the bathrooms and its totally disgusting and I don't want to have the only toilet I can use be the one some drunk guy puked all over and I have to clean it so I can sit on it. I don't know it just gives me anxiety. I like to have some beers so limiting my bathroom use might be kind of tough since i'm going to be in the arena for 6-7 hours. Oh well UFC 218 in Detroit here I come!!!

I can relate!
    Man, when is ICing I did it in some pretty sketchy places. The worst was a night race at a small circle track in Iowa.
    The floor was covered with tracked-in sand. Half of it was wet from the only toilet which was overflowing as a rotating armada of shit-ships stood guard.
    I did my business in the corner and got the hell out!
    Boy, do I love my suprapubic!
    I have a para friend who reports lubricating his catheter with saliva.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

I camp enough that I've gotten good at going where I need to. There's been a lot of things I miss going to especially big races like the Indy 500 because of this reason and im just like ya know what F this! If y'all want to watch have at it haha! This coming summer is gonna be big.

Im trying to mark something off my bucket list so i might be running a trike that im gonna build at bonneville next year and from what I've read you can camp on the edge of the lake so that's my plan. Gonna be interesting.

We should have a meet-up in Detroit, if I ever get my passport, of CareCure members.

Hopefully you get a good wheelchair section and no one stands in front of you ... that's my pet peeve. Seeing Blue Rodeo tomorrow night (Canadian band).
    When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    We should have a meet-up in Detroit, if I ever get my passport, of CareCure members.

Hopefully you get a good wheelchair section and no one stands in front of you ... that's my pet peeve. Seeing Blue Rodeo tomorrow night (Canadian band).
    That would be Cool! Yeah I was worried I wouldn't be able to see over people but I got in a box section with only 1 row in front of me and then the next section is dropped down some so I should be able to see over them.

Can you cath in your chair so you don't have to actually touch the toilet? Using a self contained intermittent cath kit for this also means you can drain into that kit and not have to be close to the toilet to drain. You might have to purchase out of your own pocket, but it would be worth it for the peace of mind. Trying to go 6 hours without cathing, esp. if drinking beer, is likely to result in a bladder accident, and could actually make you more at risk for a UTI that cathing as above.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by royb View Post
    Like the title says I am going to be attending my first really big live event this weekend since I got hurt. I used to attend concerts and races quite a bit but have not in the last 4 years and to be honest it sucks! I guess I just haven't went because at most of these things people trash the bathrooms and its totally disgusting and I don't want to have the only toilet I can use be the one some drunk guy puked all over and I have to clean it so I can sit on it. I don't know it just gives me anxiety. I like to have some beers so limiting my bathroom use might be kind of tough since i'm going to be in the arena for 6-7 hours. Oh well UFC 218 in Detroit here I come!!!
    Good idea KDL. Ask for some samples to try of sterile cath kits. You could get some from a couple different companies. The closed systems. All self contained and use those when in the arena. Just scoot up if you can to the front of your cushion lay back and cath. I do it all the time. But I really hate being in large crowds.

It's disgusting just to roll through the wet floors. Wear disposable gloves. If you can afford it, closed system is the way to go in an environment like that. If cost is an issue, it's pretty easy to improvise your own closed-type system.