Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who Wears Underwear?

Who Wears Underwear?

Sorry ladies but this question is really directed to the males in the forum, but feel free to answer if you would like. So, who wears underwear here? Tighty whities or boxers? Did they get in the way of your junk if you have to catheterize? Does your underwear cause any wrinkles or skin problems?

I haven't worn underwear in 40 years but I am considering it now to perhaps protect the skin on my butt.

Thanks!

I were boxer briefs. I make sure someone checks to make sure there are no wrinkles. I don't believe I have had any sores or problems by using them. They do not get in the way of my suprapubic.
    "Some days you eat the bear, some days the bear eats you?"

Most men I know with SCI go "commando". Less hassle getting dressed/undressed, and no worries with wrinkles or seams. I don't know of any evidence that wearing any type of underwear protects skin from pressure injuries.

Moving this to the "Life" forum as it is not really a Care issue.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Blog Entries
    I go commando. Have since I was 20ish, 15 years before my SCI. Didn?t see the point then, still don?t. I?ll very occasionally wear a pair of tighty-whiteys if I want to use an incontinence pad (like for some protection on a short flight, or during a long movie, or a road trip, etc.) In those types of scenarios I?ll use a pair of tighty whiteys to help keep the pad in place, but it rarely ever happens.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Wearing underwear was a huge hassle. I tried different styles and kept getting uncomfortable even after spending a bunch of time on making them right. I decided to ditch them altogether 27 years ago and haven't looked back.

Uhh, yes. Need something to hold my junk in

Commando reminded me of this cartoon from a couple weeks ago:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I wear Helly Hansen base layers (long johns) because I am always cold. Summer I wear the lightweight style and in winter the warmer, heavier weight style. These base layers are a combination of polypropylene and merino wool. They are soft, not itchy, wick moisture away from the skin, fit snugly enough not to wrinkle, and aren't binding. I believe they make a half model that comes to just above the knee.

I have a supra public catheter and NL sews a "buttonhole" in the front of the underwear to accommodate the supra pubic at just the right level to then connect to a leg bag. I wear the leg bag on my lower leg in a leg bag holder.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Commando for 45 years 5 months.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

I wore boxers for 33 years. Got a stage four wound on my butt. Started wearing Lycra bike shorts, unpadded, after it healed. Seems to be working for the last two years.