Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for an offroad electric wheelchair

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy1 View Post
    There is an X8 advertised on gumtree, in NSW, negotiable price, if you haven?t seen it already....

If I was going to try and make something, I?d keep away from disability parts and use mainstream (ie cheaper!) things. I?m sure a quad bike frame could be reconfigured into something that works for you.
    I found the chairs you mention on gumtree. I've sent a few enquiries. See how it goes...

With the machines you've built for your son, How did you go about it? If you don't use a motor from an electric wheelchair,what would you use? When I was a younger kid (no more than 10years old, about 30 years ago), my dad built me a go-kart out of a construction trolley with a washing machine motor. How much power does it need? I dare say more than a washing machine motor, I'm a little bigger than I used to be. Then you have to figure out how to power it with a battery.
    Everybody wants freedom.... They just don't want it for everybody else...

Quote Originally Posted by Kulea View Post
    The Extreme X8 seems to be made in Australia. How is it in soft sand? I would like to know this too. I am thinking of getting the X8 or a Cajun Commando for Hawaii's beaches.

https://www.magicmobility.com.au/wheelchair/extreme-x8/
    http://www.cajunmobility.com
    Sorry to hijack...Kulea check your PMs

Quote Originally Posted by pattherat View Post
    Sorry to hijack...Kulea check your PMs
    Yo Pat? If ur answering any of his question I'd love to know too...

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    With the machines you've built for your son, How did you go about it? If you don't use a motor from an electric wheelchair,what would you use? When I was a younger kid (no more than 10years old, about 30 years ago), my dad built me a go-kart out of a construction trolley with a washing machine motor. How much power does it need? I dare say more than a washing machine motor, I'm a little bigger than I used to be. Then you have to figure out how to power it with a battery.
    With a bit of luck and patience!

For the converted go-kart:
    1. I purchased a petrol engined, hand controlled ?Drifter?. New cost was about AUD800 I think (they are still around the same price now). Great fun for adults if you have a big property, but useless on sand (wheels were too small) and far too powerful for my son at the time. Something went wrong with the engine after a few years...nothing major, as I managed to sell the engine to someone else.
    2. I purchased a second hand 3 wheeler electric golf cart from gumtree. Someone had converted it to a mobility scooter so nobody else wanted to buy it (too unstable for a mobility scooter, and no longer useable as a golf cart).
    3. I pulled the motor off the golf cart (1000W I think, from memory), and luckily the chain matched the drive wheel on the go-kart axle. Lined it all up and bolted it together.
    4. I?ve played around with e-bike stuff for a while, so purchased a controller online, and a throttle (I managed to fry the golf cart controller by short circuiting something!). The charging cable from the golf cart was still useable.
    5. I replaced the rear wheels with gumtree quad bike wheels/tyres, and added the old rear wheels to the existing go-kart from wheels, which makes the front end float on sand much better.

It?s not fast, but has enough torque to get me up steep hills. Ideally it would have one gear for slow speed/high torque on the beach, and another gear for higher speed/lower torque for roads, but I?m not that clever! And more battery - it currently uses 36V SLA batteries, which are good enough for our needs, but only just.

Biggest recommendation - keep an eye on gumtree, you never know what you will find!
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

These are pretty capable; there is a handlebar version and a joystick version depending on hand function. I have not seen the joystick version working but the handlebar version works well:

http://www.moltenrock.co.uk/?page_id=2595

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    These are pretty capable; there is a handlebar version and a joystick version depending on hand function. I have not seen the joystick version working but the handlebar version works well:

Now being made by Equal Adventure. I have a chin control Boma, it is relatively capable but not having use of my hands chin control is difficult.

If you want info on building your own chair I'd suggest wheelchairdriver.Com they will be able to help with motors, batteries and control systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Yo Pat? If ur answering any of his question I'd love to know too...

Thanks in advance
    No it was a total hijack. I vaguely remembered Kulea posting about getting a replacement for his Swing-A-Lift, no longer available in the US, a while back but I couldn't find the post.

I will chime in and recommend the Extreme X8. I have one that i saved from a VA dumpster and it'll go just about anywhere. I took it out on Huntington Beach here in So Cal and had absolutely no trouble with the deep sand and cruised along the waters edge, never even got close to being stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post

Probably very capable off-road and on Welsh beaches, but definitely no use on beach sand around us unfortunately. (And I imagine that the beach sand near to Mutley is similar to ours). I have a(nother) cousin who lives near Borth (on the West Coast of Wales for those that have never heard of it). Several years ago my son took his Firefly on the beach there when the tide was out, and he had a great time...didn?t get bogged once. But there is no chance of the Firefly ever working on a beach in WA....

Think of very dry hot deep sand and you start to understand the difficulties here. Big wide tyres with pressures of 14psi (or less) are needed on vehicles.
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Yes our sand grain is a little bigger than sugar grain. My new best friend has had a look at what i need and has suggested I turn one of my old manual wheelchairs into an electric offroader. He reckons he can do it. I've already got some oversized back wheels. Looking now for front wheels and a way to mount them. I'd still be able to steer differentiating the speed of the 2 rear wheels, correct?