Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for an offroad electric wheelchair

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    I was looking at getting something like this... https://youtu.be/rNV2n8hqF_c.

I'm not too sure about the durability of the track as I'll have to drive it from my underground storage space, up 5 levels, onto the street over the road through a park and onto the beach. Tracks dont like hard surfaces from what Ive read.
    These appear to be the tracks, there is another video of it too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0YVjLICEBU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiaG9Pdqm4M
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Could you point me in the direction of the relevant regulations for WA. I just wanna see what it says and compare it to qld regs to see if I'm looking in the right direction. I'm not sure if it's gonna make a difference because ive been told vehicles (even if they can be registered) are not allowed to be used by private citizens on any beach in qld. Only emergency vehicles are allowed.

Even kite buggies were kyboshed...
    https://www.transport.wa.gov.au/lice...wheelchair.asp

“Where a genuine need is demonstrated, vehicles that are more suitable for higher speeds (for example: quad bikes) can be conditionally licensed as motorised wheelchairs.”

When I bought a new quad bike for my son a few years ago the dealer said that he had just gone through the process of getting a quad bike road registered for a wheelchair user. So it can definitely be done. There was also a movie/doco a few years ago that had several people with SCI travel from Perth to their various accident sites across Australia. They all had off-road buggies/quads registered for the road.

BTW I’m sure that QLD lets vehicles on the beach north of where you are...I have a cousin in Rainbow Beach, and they are always posting photos of vehicles bogged on the beach!
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Quote Originally Posted by Kulea View Post
    The Extreme X8 seems to be made in Australia. How is it in soft sand? I would like to know this too. I am thinking of getting the X8 or a Cajun Commando for Hawaii's beaches.

https://www.magicmobility.com.au/wheelchair/extreme-x8/
    http://www.cajunmobility.com

Nice work Kulea. Thanks for this. I spent an hour looking for offroad wheelchairs in Australia and found nothing. I have no idea how these slipped the search algorythm... I'm gonna look into these more thoroughly.
    Everybody wants freedom.... They just don't want it for everybody else...

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy1 View Post
    https://www.transport.wa.gov.au/lice...wheelchair.asp

“Where a genuine need is demonstrated, vehicles that are more suitable for higher speeds (for example: quad bikes) can be conditionally licensed as motorised wheelchairs.”

When I bought a new quad bike for my son a few years ago the dealer said that he had just gone through the process of getting a quad bike road registered for a wheelchair user. So it can definitely be done. There was also a movie/doco a few years ago that had several people with SCI travel from Perth to their various accident sites across Australia. They all had off-road buggies/quads registered for the road.

BTW I’m sure that QLD lets vehicles on the beach north of where you are...I have a cousin in Rainbow Beach, and they are always posting photos of vehicles bogged on the beach!
    I totally forgot about rainbow beach and fraser island and maybe even Stradbroke and moreton Islands may have restrictions lifted. Yes they are vehicle friendly. I think the ban on registerable vehicles is in place everywhere else in Queensland - I have been wrong before though. Unfortunately these beaches are out of my reach in terms of traveling by wheelchair. The one I look down on every morning is laughing at me.

I was looking at getting something like this... https://youtu.be/rNV2n8hqF_c.

I'm not too sure about the durability of the track as I'll have to drive it from my underground storage space, up 5 levels, onto the street over the road through a park and onto the beach. Tracks dont like hard surfaces from what Ive read.
    Avoid any track chair, they eat battery power and are too impractical for most users. You would need a large van with no rear seats to transport if you ever want to go elsewhere. If you visit wheelchairdriver.com and ask about track chairs there you will get a full list of the problems.

Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    Avoid any track chair, they eat battery power and are too impractical for most users. You would need a large van with no rear seats to transport if you ever want to go elsewhere. If you visit wheelchairdriver.com and ask about track chairs there you will get a full list of the problems.
    Yeah I envisioned tracks on wheelchairs not being very durable on anything other than sand, and since I have to travel through a 5 level car park and over bitumen roads theyd be unsuitable. A lot of the wheelchairs saying they are suitable for soft surfaces seem to have wheels that seem to be way too small and too smooth to be usable for sand. I find that annoying.

Gordy - I have noticed alot of electric bikes (pocket rocket bikes), the type that you could build in the 80s, navigating the main street of surfers paradise (2 suburbs away from me). So something must be going on there....
    Last edited by Mutley; 11-28-2017 at 12:26 AM.

Have you checked out:

http://www.mobility-usa.com/extreme-x8--4x4.html

I have one and it is pretty much unstoppable and it fits through most doorways and into my wheelchair van. I'm selling mine because I need a new vehicle more than I need it, but I imagine the shipping from Oregon to Australia would cost prohibitive.

Cheers,

Matt

Gordy - I have noticed alot of electric bikes (pocket rocket bikes), the type that you could build in the 80s, navigating the main street of surfers paradise (2 suburbs away from me). So something must be going on there....
    Schoolies week, isn?t it???

There seem to be a lot of ebike/scooter hire places in surfers, some of which hire out mobility scooters. Might be worth a chat with some of them...see what they can come up with? You could probably convince someone that there is a market for beach-going mobility devices.
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy1 View Post
    Schoolies week, isn?t it???There seem to be a lot of ebike/scooter hire places in surfers, some of which hire out mobility scooters. Might be worth a chat with some of them...see what they can come up with? You could probably convince someone that there is a market for beach-going mobility devices.
    It is schoolies month, that's correct... The queensland kids came down in the third week and now the southern kids are here. the X8 (or atleast the one I want) is $15,000 second hand.- worth a little more than my desire to get closer to the beach. I called the Australian distributor and was given a price even more offensive (well above $20k).I have found a friend who has a friend who is keen to have a crack at converting an old wheelchair to one that is suitable for sand. I've been trawling ebay for a base wheelchair but they all seem to be central wheel driven. Gonna keep looking...

It is schoolies month, that's correct... The queensland kids came down in the third week and now the southern kids are here. the X8 (or atleast the one I want) is $15,000 second hand.- worth a little more than my desire to get closer to the beach. I called the Australian distributor and was given a price even more offensive (well above $20k).I have found a friend who has a friend who is keen to have a crack at converting an old wheelchair to one that is suitable for sand. I've been trawling ebay for a base wheelchair but they all seem to be central wheel driven. Gonna keep looking...
    There is an X8 advertised on gumtree, in NSW, negotiable price, if you haven?t seen it already....

If I was going to try and make something, I?d keep away from disability parts and use mainstream (ie cheaper!) things. I?m sure a quad bike frame could be reconfigured into something that works for you.