Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for an offroad electric wheelchair

Looking for an offroad electric wheelchair

That's good onroad as well. I've lived by the beach for 4 years now and all I can do is look at it. I wanna do more. Can anyone suggest a brand/make/model that works for them? Offroad wheelchairs arent really heard of here in Australia, so Im gonna hafta source something from overseas.
    Everybody wants freedom.... They just don't want it for everybody else...

If the sand in Brisbane is anything like it is here on the other side of Australia, then any power chair is going to struggle IMHO.

Best powered things that we’ve found for our son for sand are quad bikes and a petrol go-kart that I converted to electric. I think there is a company in QLD that sells electric quad bikes...they might be worth contacting if you don’t want the noise of a petrol engine?

For manual power, a Freewheel and wide rear wheels. But that’s a hell of a lot of effort required to get any distance at all.

Depending on what beach you are close to, many councils are installing beach matting, but primarily just to get to the water, so it depends whether you want to go along the beach, or just across it.
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy1 View Post
    If the sand in Brisbane is anything like it is here on the other side of Australia, then any power chair is going to struggle IMHO.

Best powered things that we?ve found for our son for sand are quad bikes and a petrol go-kart that I converted to electric. I think there is a company in QLD that sells electric quad bikes...they might be worth contacting if you don?t want the noise of a petrol engine?

For manual power, a Freewheel and wide rear wheels. But that?s a hell of a lot of effort required to get any distance at all.

Depending on what beach you are close to, many councils are installing beach matting, but primarily just to get to the water, so it depends whether you want to go along the beach, or just across it.
    I live on the northern end of the gold coast. Main Beach to be more precise - I forgot I had Brisbane as my location. The QLD Government has given vehicles of any description the kybosh on beaches - Mobility devices excluded. Unfortunately quads and gocarts are a no go. Bloody nanny state mentality!

I've resigned myself to the fact I'm gonna have to go O/S to find something suitable, unless I get something custom made. I'd rather get something tried and tested.

I?d be asking the government exactly what mobility devices they think can go on sand!

Stick a few wheelchair signs on this and I would call it a mobility device: https://youtu.be/NXEkOLUIVHA

Also, you should be able to get a quad bike road registered (at least you can in WA if you have a suitable disability and a driver’s licence). Then if you get stopped on a beach, you can point out that it is a mobility device (with plates to prove it’s registered).

I’m just trying to save you some money, as getting anything from overseas is going to cost you big time (as I’m sure you are aware).
    Last edited by Gordy1; 11-25-2017 at 06:14 AM. Reason: stupid new iPad software puts ? in place of ‘
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

I?d be asking the government exactly what mobility devices they think can go on sand!
    I'm sure they realise there's a lot of personal/recreational vehicles can go on sand. Unfortunately they have this idea that if they let one guy they can trust go out and do the responsible thing, all these other fools that just want to fuck shit up for everyone else will want to do exactly that. "Because that guy over there can take a quad on the beach"....

Stick a few wheelchair signs on this and I would call it a mobility device: https://youtu.be/NXEkOLUIVHA
    A bit too low to the ground

Also, you should be able to get a quad bike road registered ....
    Unfortunately not in the nanny state known as QLD

I?m just trying to save you some money, as getting anything from overseas is going to cost you big time (as I?m sure you are aware).
    Ayemen to that. I dont trust my knowledge of mechanics and electric motors to be able to trust myself to find one who does.... If that makes sense.

Yep, I get where you are at. It sucks - getting my son able to cross sand by himself has been one of my biggest frustrations, hence the knowledge about quad bikes and electric go-kart conversions! (BTW, the go-kart isn?t that low...my son finds it as easy to get in/out of it as he does with a higher quad bike).

I see what you mean about the QLD regulations...I?ve just compared them to the WA ones, and for once WA is less of a nanny state than somewhere else! FYI the registration of a quad bike for disability use is well hidden in the WA regs, but I can see where it should be in the QLD regs (as the rest of the wording is very similar), and I agree that it?s definitely not there. It sounds like you?ve already done your research, but is it worth calling them up and specifically asking (possibly quoting WA regs)?

Anyway, enough from me, I will let someone else respond to the actual question you asked!

It might be possible to import a Boma from the UK, I know one was exported to the US. http://www.moltenrock.co.uk/?page_id=2595 but new manufacturer is Equal Adventure in Scotland. I've got one, reasonably competent in most off road situations, I live in the Lake District national park with decent size hills/mountains and it gets me to the same places I used to mountain bike. We can't use petrol powered quads and most trails are restricted to mountain bikes and wheelchairs. There is a French made option Quadrix very similar, better suspension and lithium batteries also available, worth a look at but I don't know how easy to import.

I was looking at getting something like this... https://youtu.be/rNV2n8hqF_c.

I'm not too sure about the durability of the track as I'll have to drive it from my underground storage space, up 5 levels, onto the street over the road through a park and onto the beach. Tracks dont like hard surfaces from what Ive read.

... FYI the registration of a quad bike for disability use is well hidden in the WA regs...
    Could you point me in the direction of the relevant regulations for WA. I just wanna see what it says and compare it to qld regs to see if I'm looking in the right direction. I'm not sure if it's gonna make a difference because ive been told vehicles (even if they can be registered) are not allowed to be used by private citizens on any beach in qld. Only emergency vehicles are allowed.

Even kite buggies were kyboshed...

The Extreme X8 seems to be made in Australia. How is it in soft sand? I would like to know this too. I am thinking of getting the X8 or a Cajun Commando for Hawaii's beaches.

https://www.magicmobility.com.au/wheelchair/extreme-x8/
    http://www.cajunmobility.com
    C-6/7 incomplete