Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mutant infection, heeelp!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    There are many approaches to dealing with recurrent infections with a neurogenic bladder
    if you perform intermittent catheterization 1) do you use a new catheter every time? Or do you hand clean your catheters? 2) Have you had a cystoscopy lately? a cystoscopy could tell if you have little tears in your urethra from cathing frequently which makes you susceptible to infection. 3)have you been screened for stones in you bladder or kidney? Stones can make you prone to bacteria.

pbr
    Just like Martiniani77, I get klebsiella every time and I treat with oral antibiotics and afterwards I get prescribed with Cotrimoxazole as a maintenance drug (1 tab before sleeping) However, after the treatment, in about two weeks, urine after ICT comes out with infection again. Cloudy and with Pus. It becomes cyclic and I get klebsiella Pneumoniae.

PBR, I re-use my Nelaton catheter which I soap and dry after using for 3 times. I am clear with my KUB and with no stones but the constant ICT I believe is the cause for recurring UTI. What could we be doing wrong?
    He ai'nt heavy, he is my brother!
    Rufus Wainright

ronaldlora.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by iskumbro View Post
    PBR, I re-use my Nelaton catheter which I soap and dry after using for 3 times. I am clear with my KUB and with no stones but the constant ICT I believe is the cause for recurring UTI. What could we be doing wrong?
    Wild guess here I'm no doctor, but reusing catheters is playing with fire, especially if you say you use them 3 times before you clean them!?

I get it, maybe you have no choice. I know I've been so broke in the past that I couldn't afford to buy the single-use caths so I had to reuse them. And infectious diseases docs and urologists here anyway, tend to frown on maintenance antibiotics, you'll get resistant, not a matter of if but when. But who knows, maybe in some people it's the only choice, maybe your health care system is different than mine. Any kind of catheterization puts you at higher risk of UTIs, if that's what you meant by constant ICT?

Not sure what a KUB is, or ICT but if I were you I'd be looking at how you clean them. When I did reuse mine, I only reused them a few times and I made sure they were as clean as I could get them for every use with hot water, soap, and iodine, chlorexidine or rubbing alcohol. I made sure I had a few to rotate so that I had a clean ones on hand, and they got put away in a clean container or closeable "zip-lock" bag. Some people use other stuff and store them in iodine or other solutions so don't take what I say as gospel but it did work for me when I had no other choice, something else might work better for you. But just soap and water and only after 3 uses? Not sure that'll do the trick, yikes.

I'd say probably the first thing I'd try in your situation is to try brand-new catheters and no reusing if you can afford it, and see if that cuts down on UTIs...

While ICT has many meanings, in this context, I think the poster means Intermittent Catheterization Technique, otherwise known to many of us as CIC (Clean Intermittent Catheterization) or sometimes just IC (Intermittent Catheterization).

KUB is an X-ray imaging of the kidneys ureters, and bladder.
    X-ray beams are passed through the abdomen, producing images of the kidneys, ureters, and bladder on a special type of film. KUB radiography is often used as a first step in diagnosing problems of the urinary system.

Purpose of the KUB Radiography:
    Determine the size, shape, and position of the kidneys and bladder
    Detect obvious abnormalities of the urinary system, such as kidney stones
    Help differentiate between urologic and gastrointestinal diseases
    Locate a foreign object (e.g., that has been swallowed)

Many of us know Cotrimoxazole as Bactrim or Septra. It is a combination of antibiotics comprised of Sulfaethoxzole and Trimethoprim.

Blog Entries
    Thanks twistties for the info, after catheterization I soap and rinse the nelaton cathether and dry it up. I reuse and do the same process. I believe the process you described is much better. When you say zip locked, are the catheters supposed to be soaked in alcohol or a clean container?

Hi gjnl, thank youy for the distinctions especially about Bactrim
    Rufus Wainright

ronaldlora.blogspot.com

It is not recommended to soak or clean catheters with alcohol, Betadine, bleach, or vinegar. Even if you rinse the catheter well afterwards, residual can remain on the catheter and we have seen this lead to urethritis. Plain soap and water, and then air drying, has the best research evidence for use.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    It is not recommended to soak or clean catheters with alcohol, Betadine, bleach, or vinegar. Even if you rinse the catheter well afterwards, residual can remain on the catheter and we have seen this lead to urethritis. Plain soap and water, and then air drying, has the best research evidence for use.

(KLD)
    Hi KLD, my other concern is after shaking the catheter and allowing it to air dry on top of a towel, should it be placed in a clean area inside the toilet where I do my catheterization or can I just put it inside a clean brown paper bag? Thanks for the response
    Rufus Wainright

ronaldlora.blogspot.com

Either is fine.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Martiniani77 View Post
    Ive been suffering from a serious chronic urinary tract infection for a long time , more frequently the past few months.
    The infection is mostly E coli but has even changed sometimes.
    I havent done any rehabilitation. Already waiting to be called from Santa Corona Pietra Ligure in Italy but the last times Ive been cured in hospitals unsuccesfuly because 1 week after using antibiotics prescript-ed by them the infection returns.
    Last infection I took a therapy of Ciproflaxin 500mg 2 times a day for 12 days , 3 days later I dealt with urine loss and fever so was forced to take Augmentin times a day for 6 days 125mg.
    Im feeling a little better now even though i still have terrible pain but at least I can hold more than 300ml up to 450ml safely.

Doctors say that this is all because i have a neurogenic bladder which leads to using a lot of intermittent cathing which leads to infections.
    Im about to finish my cure which i dont believe will be succesful.
    Do you guys have any idea how I can be cured...or some kind of solution...

Additional information :
    Im t9 paraplegic
    I take oxybutinine 5mg 3xday
    3 years post accident
    Hi , i think you are not doing intermittent cath hygienically. I also do it but it is very rare that i get infections, even though i re-use the catheters after a proper re-wash . You can read this guide by me to avoid future infections : http://spinalinjury.info/intermitten...rization-male/
    Quadriplegic c6 complete.

Bsc(HONS) Applied Physics / Msc Electronics from University of Karachi. Currently doing Mphil in AI/Robotics from IBA karachi.

Physics / Maths high school instructor. Part time Web developer/ blogger . Have keen interest in Astronomy / physics/ World politics / Economics.

Visit http://spinalinjury.info where people suffering from SCI share articles about post spinal cord injury life based on research and personal experiences

There is little or no evidence that the technique used for self intermittent catheterization, nor the type of catheters used, makes a significant difference in the rate of UTI in those who do this for bladder management. Much more common is that the person is carrying high bladder pressures that have not been diagnosed, or allowing their bladder to get too full (over about 425 ml) or going longer than 4-6 hours between caths.

(KLD)

Update on my infection.
    After feeling bad for a few days and couldnt make an uroculthure because of the antibiotics i started drinking a lot of tea during the day and started feeling a little better. tomorrow ill do the culture of the urine and decide if it is worth going on medication once again.
    I agree with SCI-Nurse that the comon cause might be the second.
    Im currently using Coloplast Speedicath catheters that are the most sterile one , where you dont touch anything but the end of it and clean the shaft area with Amokimed dissinfectant spray easily.
    Even being this careful im always feeling a high pressure in my bladder all the time since it goes 250ml.
    Anymore than that damages the bladder which makes it more prone to infection.
    My doctor finaly desiced i have to go do urodynamics and some other scanning and left me an appointment on 11 january.
    Until then im on my own.
    Thanks to all the replies