Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mutant infection, heeelp!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Martiniani77 View Post
    Update on my infection.
    After feeling bad for a few days and couldnt make an uroculthure because of the antibiotics i started drinking a lot of tea during the day and started feeling a little better. tomorrow ill do the culture of the urine and decide if it is worth going on medication once again.
    I agree with SCI-Nurse that the comon cause might be the second.
    Im currently using Coloplast Speedicath catheters that are the most sterile one , where you dont touch anything but the end of it and clean the shaft area with Amokimed dissinfectant spray easily.
    Even being this careful im always feeling a high pressure in my bladder all the time since it goes 250ml.
    Anymore than that damages the bladder which makes it more prone to infection.
    My doctor finaly desiced i have to go do urodynamics and some other scanning and left me an appointment on 11 january.
    Until then im on my own.
    Thanks to all the replies
    Unless you are a trained medical professional, you shouldn't "decide if it is worth going on medication once again." That decision should be made by your doctor based upon a Culture and Sensitivity (C&S) urine test that exposes the identified bacteria to various antibiotics and after several days, the results help the doctor determine which antibiotic is the most suitable.

Glad you are having the urodynamics. Do I understand you correctly that every time you cath you only get 250ml, i.e., you bladder can only hold 250ml of urine before you have to cath. You must be cathing more than 4-6 times a day if that is the case. That kind of frequent cathing can cause damage to the urethra which can make you more susceptible to infection.

My doctor put me on antibiotics , bactrim twice a day for 5 days to treat E.coli. Just finished the cure and still feel discomfort and pain contractions in my bladder through the whole day.
    Ive been searching online and saw an article about a toxic colon. It said that a toxic colon could give side effects on a weak immune system , chronic utis and muscle and bone pain...every side effect related with my state right now.

So i figured Ill follow a colon detox using maple syrup 6 glasses a day.
    The recipe is maple syrup 2tb , lemon juice 2tb and 1|10 of a tb with cayenne pepper.
    Since the UTI was with a fecal bactere , i wonder if it has something to do with a non complete bowel movement.
    Any tips for a better cleanse to try ?

My doctor put me on antibiotics , bactrim twice a day for 5 days to treat E.coli. Just finished the cure and still feel discomfort and pain contractions in my bladder through the whole day.
    Ive been searching online and saw an article about a toxic colon. It said that a toxic colon could give side effects on a weak immune system , chronic utis and muscle and bone pain...every side effect related with my state right now.

The recipe is maple syrup 2tb , lemon juice 2tb and 1|10 of a tb with cayenne pepper.
    Since the UTI was with a fecal bactere , i wonder if it has something to do with a non complete bowel movement.
    I don't think the maple syrup tonic will do anything for your urinary tract infection. The doctor did not give you a long enough course of Bactrim. People with spinal cord injuries have urinary tract infections that are considered to be complex infections and need to be treated with a 12-14 day course of the antibiotic of choice. After finishing the prescribed antibiotics, wait two or three days and have another urinalysis (UA) and a culture & sensitivity (C&S) test to make sure the infection has been completely cleared up. If it hasn't you may need to take another course of the same antibiotic or your doctor may switch to another effective antibiotic to attack the infection from a different direction.

Hi Gjnl,
    Thanks for your feedback. Your opinion is highly valued.
    This story has been going on for a long time actually , since June ive been on and off antibiotics.
    My culture and sensitivity showed that im sensible only to bactim , augmentin and cyproxine. After trying with these last 2 he described bactrin , apparently wrong.
    Im waiting and doing another analyse like you adviced.
    This shows that doctors arent that good after all.
    My last culture analyse ------ https://ibb.co/jRqWn6

A complex UTI should be treated for at least 10-14 days, not just 3-5 as in a AB person. You cannot "feel" high pressure in your bladder. What many people experience as bladder pressure is not that, but stretch or bladder spasm. The only way to tell if you have dangerously high bladder pressures is to have urodynamics done.

There is no scientific basis for doing a cleanse such as this. UTIs are commonly fecal type bacteria...that is not a symptom of "toxic colon" which is actually a dubious condition at best.

I suspect you have a high pressure bladder, with a low capacity. This alone can make you vulnerable to UTIs. An additional factor that should be investigated and ruled out is chronic prostatitis. Ask your physician to do a digital prostate exam and a PSA level when you are seen for the urodynamics studies.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Hi Gjnl,
    Thanks for your feedback. Your opinion is highly valued.
    This story has been going on for a long time actually , since June ive been on and off antibiotics.
    My culture and sensitivity showed that im sensible only to bactim , augmentin and cyproxine. After trying with these last 2 he described bactrin , apparently wrong.
    Im waiting and doing another analyse like you adviced.
    This shows that doctors arent that good after all.
    My last culture analyse ------ https://ibb.co/jRqWn6
    I don't know what access you have in Albania to infectious disease doctors. But, I have found that infectious disease doctors are much more artful in dealing with chronic, frequent, and recurrent urinary tract infections than primary care physicians and urologists. So if it is possible for you to consult with an infectious disease doctor, you may have an option to treatment that can not be provided by your regular group of physicians.

take kld's advice, she knows her stuff. she helped me considerably when I out of know where started getting hammered with uti's. if your doctors are even remotely competent they will take all advice especially kld's, mine did.

to add. get an ultrasound for hydronephrosis, this turne3d out to e the problem for me. my right ureter from kidney to bladder was blocked and not draining properly causing urine to lay in my kidney like a stagnet pool. I had a stent placed for 2 mths. this has done the trick so far. 3 normal followup ultrasounds show a normal kidney. kld also suggested oxybuytinin and cathing more than I was(was only cathing 1x b4 bed) since I can reflex void too. my urologist agreed.
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    A complex UTI should be treated for at least 10-14 days, not just 3-5 as in a AB person. You cannot "feel" high pressure in your bladder. What many people experience as bladder pressure is not that, but stretch or bladder spasm. The only way to tell if you have dangerously high bladder pressures is to have urodynamics done.

There is no scientific basis for doing a cleanse such as this. UTIs are commonly fecal type bacteria...that is not a symptom of "toxic colon" which is actually a dubious condition at best.

I suspect you have a high pressure bladder, with a low capacity. This alone can make you vulnerable to UTIs. An additional factor that should be investigated and ruled out is chronic prostatitis. Ask your physician to do a digital prostate exam and a PSA level when you are seen for the urodynamics studies.

(KLD)
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Blog Entries
    Well, welcome to the Shitt

(KLD)[/QUOTE]

I think KLD is onto something here with mentioning the prostate. I dealt with recurring ESBL e. Coli and another organism for a long, long time until I found a good Infectious Disease doc who knew that my infection was not a simple UTI and got a prostatic fluid culture. That made all the difference.