Thread: Standing Frame - Recommended Frequency/Duration?

Standing Frame - Recommended Frequency/Duration?

I use a standing frame fairly regularly - 3-5 times per week for around 20-30 minutes. Is anyone aware of research around the recommended frequency and duration for using a standing frame (or any thoughts on this)? For example, is there a threshold where benefits really kick in such as standing for 30 minutes or an hour at a time, or standing every day versus a few times a week? Or is it pretty much that you should stand as much as you can?

Actually, there is very little research based evidence on the benefits of use of standing frames or other types of passive standing. There are often anecdotal reports of improved bowel motility/function, and reduction in spasticity, as well as prevention of flexion contractures (especially in the knee and ankle), and emotional/psychological benefits. Research has shown there is no benefit for either prevention or improvement of osteoporosis, no matter how long or often you passively stand.

When I was working, we recommended daily standing for 1 hour based on clinical experience, not on any scientific evidence. Standing for hours at a time is not recommended, as it can result in foot skin breakdown.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I got mine after injury in 2007, been using it everyday for at least an hour (when home) usually not much longer. It did and does help me with blood pressure, good way to get your heart rate up, form of exercise. Also for me its a good way to stretch and maybe have some effect on bone density. Over all Love It.
    c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.

если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Actually, there is very little research based evidence on the benefits of use of standing frames or other types of passive standing. There are often anecdotal reports of improved bowel motility/function, and reduction in spasticity, as well as prevention of flexion contractures (especially in the knee and ankle), and emotional/psychological benefits. Research has shown there is no benefit for either prevention or improvement of osteoporosis, no matter how long or often you passively stand.

When I was working, we recommended daily standing for 1 hour based on clinical experience, not on any scientific evidence. Standing for hours at a time is not recommended, as it can result in foot skin breakdown.

(KLD)
    Thanks KLD. My experience aligns with the anecdotal evidence, and it's nice to have some guidelines. I'd also say that standing helps from a posture perspective - helps me remember to keep my shoulders down and back, and head up. It's also just nice to get off your butt for a change.

SCI Nurse has hit the nail on the head in indicating there is no substantial "objective" clinical evidence to indicate the efficacy of using a traditional stationary standing frame, there is however some objective clinical evidence to show improvements in bone density when motion is thrown into the mix.

The easy stand evolve setup appears to be a far better setup because it provides opportunity for range of motion exercise (passive motion of course) through the legs while weight bearing. This is shown to improve circulatory function in the lower extremities, bowel and bladder function (although, this is likely anecdotal evidence too) and bone density plus it makes a huge difference from those of us that suffer the dreaded edema.

Regular exercise, proper nutrition and vitamin supplements (IE: Vitamin D as well as calcium) are equally important in maintaining bone density.

I wish it was more affordable so I could have one at home.... *sigh* isn't this always the way with products that help us disabled folk?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmay View Post
    SCI Nurse has hit the nail on the head in indicating there is no substantial "objective" clinical evidence to indicate the efficacy of using a traditional stationary standing frame, there is however some objective clinical evidence to show improvements in bone density when motion is thrown into the mix.

The easy stand evolve setup appears to be a far better setup because it provides opportunity for range of motion exercise (passive motion of course) through the legs while weight bearing. This is shown to improve circulatory function in the lower extremities, bowel and bladder function (although, this is likely anecdotal evidence too) and bone density plus it makes a huge difference from those of us that suffer the dreaded edema.

Regular exercise, proper nutrition and vitamin supplements (IE: Vitamin D as well as calcium) are equally important in maintaining bone density.

I wish it was more affordable so I could have one at home.... *sigh* isn't this always the way with products that help us disabled folk?
    I was fortunate to find a used standing frame in amazing condition - it still had the original tags on the unit and was apparently only used once or twice and then sat covered up in a garage for a few years. I imagine there are many standing frames in garages or standing in a corner gathering dust. Sort of like treadmills and stationary bikes, bought with the best of intentions but spending most of the time acting as a clothing stand.

Got mine off Craig's list for 500. For the easy stand glider. Like most exercise equipment it was barely used.

Texas USA, female ************** T9 incomplete
    It's on my wish list.
    Female, T9 incomplete

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Throwing some vibration into the mix would help..

If only they made vibration plates that fitted into the foot plates. Guy can dream

https://vibeplate.com/medical-rehabi...treatment-sci/

Using the standing frame is a great way to get out of the wheelchair for a bit. I've also started getting on the floor regularly and trying to move around. I'm seeing improvements slowly but at the very least I'm out of the wheelchair for an hour. One less hour in the wheelchair is priceless.